MBP 13" i5 (late 2011) battery high usage mAh

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ressac, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ressac macrumors regular

hi everyone, my MBP is only week about.

and on light web browsing give me only about maybe 5 hours, i mean no flash.

so i install a programm called "miniBatteryLogger" (is's free for 30 days)

total capacity was 5770, now it's 5670 , i know it's ok, but
    when i try to load and scroll (or just scroll!!!) page MBP start eating 1100-1300 mA!!!

if i calculate 5670/1200 = 4,3 hours.... so , i can just use it for 4 hours

for exampel when i wrote this messeg mA was on 738, and it's about 7,3 hours.
    but if i start scroll or load its' jump on 950-1050.

so where is problem?
    can someone install this program and test his battery usage, and then post here data?

someone may say it's ok, but i had same mbp before and battery much batter then this one, so i try to figurout why is useage of mA is so high

:apple: peace bros

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. ressac thread starter macrumors regular

read it before, i not use any flash content(FlashBlocker) , i really just web surf on page like this and maybe apple boards, some news ...

screen on half no keys lights no sound, only Chrome brows

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many more factors than those mentioned in the FAQ. There are also several things you can address that impact performance, and therefore, battery life:

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In addition to GGj's post's try Coconut battery (free) as your battery monitoring app....It creates a log file so you can see what's going on. 5 hours is a little low....but your machine is new, and your battery needs to build up stamina.

4 or five cycles and you should get more accurate readings...and hopefully better life.

6. ressac thread starter macrumors regular

yes a use before coconutBattery, but MiniBatteryLogger is much better it's give me more infromation of battery usage.

i already have 6 cycles

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

your laptop and battery are behaving just normal.

Thanks for pointing out the program... I've been implementing something similar

8. ressac, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012

ressac thread starter macrumors regular

well, i dont know

i try to watch movie today and it use less battery then webs surf (1000mA) it's about 5 hours of video,
    but surfing need more power(1000-1300mA) , cant understand this

today i had a mixed use, webs, music, maybe 10min of youtube, light web brows you know, i not always was on computer. watch a 15 min of divx movie
    sometimes use a blooth mouse.

and i get only 5:30 hours.

p.s. it was a light use, i just open close some programs, download files form internet, brows on hdd, etc

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I just noticed, you are using Chrome as a browser.

Chrome is optimized for performance and fast browsing. It seems that a consequence of this is that it uses a lot of power compared to e.g. Safari. This is based on my personal experience (I would say it's a 10%-15% difference) but has also been observed and reported by others.

Give safari a try... it should give you at least 6 hours.

10. ressac thread starter macrumors regular

yes, i was thinking about this, and i compare mAh usage on Chrome and Safari, and it's same in my case, cuz i got MBP 13"

it's only in case MBP 15" and 17", cuz they use nvidia , not integrated chip video

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Nope, the nvidia issue has been fixed with chrome. Even without this, Chrome seems to spend slightly more CPU time rendering web pages.
    Note also that some web pages are very busy. Even without flash, they let the CPU usage (and thus the power usage) spike. If I spend a few minutes writing a post here, then my power usage is around 10 W, with 12/16 display brightness. When I do power browsing, opening new sites or links several times per minute, scrolling around etc, it easily goes up to 13-20 W.

Still, a battery life of 5:30 is acceptable. Battery life depends a lot on how exactly you use the computer, even on the browsing habits. Downloads also increase the power usage, since the HDD/SSD use more power when reading/writing large amounts of data. I also think that the chrome download manager is somewhat inefficient.

Is bluetooth turned off? What about the keyboard light? Any USB devices plugged in?

12. ressac thread starter macrumors regular

what model of MBP you have?

yes i use maybe 10-20 mins keys light, mouse bluetooth maybe about 1 hour

heres picture of usage

[​IMG]

and i attach cvs log of usage

in idle i have about 9-10 watts, and "in work" 10-16 watts

p.s. i download only 20 mb :) and no usb devices

Attached Files:

13. Toughbook macrumors newbie

Toughbook

I am also keeping an eye on my battery, seems like it is consuming more than it should. I closed Chrome and reopened this forum up in Safari. Before I closed Chrome my battery time was 8:10. Opened Safari and it is stuck on 6:50. Nothing else changed in the 10 seconds to my knowledge. What gives???

14. ressac thread starter macrumors regular

yes it was a change, to close and open battery usage increase, more CPU, less time to left...

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This just shows that there's no point in obsessing about battery life.

As far as I know, the estimated time left is based on the amount of power used in the last 30 seconds - opening safari used a lot of CPU power for a few seconds, so you get a lower estimate. This has nothing to do with the amount of power consumed in that period.

@ressac

I don't see anything abnormal in that graph. If you want to dig deeper, you could log your CPU usage in parallel, and then try to find out what corresponds to the spikes in power usage. Probably some websites with a lot of content to render.
    I'm confused about your statement concerning bluetooth - did you turn it off while the mouse was not being used? This saves a lot of power. Also, what is your display brightness set to?
    My bet is still on Chrome sucking out the power btw.

I have a 15'', so it will be useless to compare.

16. ressac thread starter macrumors regular

yes i turn off BT, but it's only consume maybe about 50-90mA, and screen always 50%

so it's not about BT or screen

i had before this mbp , 6 sames mbp 13", so only one of them was like my, others was great battery life.

how i can log CPU usage in parallel?
    give please link on manual

i was thinkin to make clean install , and test it :) cuz when i buy this mbp i directly install everything from time machine. shoud i reset SMC and PVRAM?