Mbp 13 inch base 2019 vs new mba 2020

SaranshRolex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Hey guys first post here.
i am able to buy a new mbp 13inch ( touchbar) base (128gb) for 1100 euros. Is this a better deal than the new mba i5 512 gb?

nicho

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2008
Hey guys first post here.
i am able to buy a new mbp 13inch ( touchbar) base (128gb) for 1100 euros. Is this a better deal than the new mba i5 512 gb?
Since you apparently don't need much storage, why not get the base MBA (256GB) and BTO the i5 processor?

Reactions: ignatius345

SaranshRolex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Hmm thats a good plan as well. But the think is im a professional. If i get the base air with i5 i wont get the tax off because i can only order it from apple. I order these things from amazon. Plus i need it it for medium pdf editing like making menu cards and stuff photos editing (minor)mails and maybe in the future online marketing

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
I'm not a Mac expert, but I'd personally wait the rumoured MBP update, with an improved keyboard. The current 13" MBP is the only device now with the butterfly mechanism keyboard.

Ericdjensen

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
Depends on what you'll use it for

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the above post.
Yeah, the Air would be plenty fast enough. Might as well get the i5 since it's a very good upgrade for cheap. Better keyboard and more base storage as well

Last edited:

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
Hmm thats a good plan as well. But the think is im a professional. If i get the base air with i5 i wont get the tax off because i can only order it from apple. I order these things from amazon. Plus i need it it for medium pdf editing like making menu cards and stuff photos editing (minor)mails and maybe in the future online marketing
Would you rather have a MBP that doesn't work or a MBA that works?

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
The MacBook Air should be able to handle light graphics work like that quite easily. I'd recommend getting the faster quad-core i5 processor since it's only a $100 upgrade.

Reactions: kreasonos

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
The essence of the base MBP 13" vs 2020 i5 Air Comparisons are as follows:

MBA i5 - Has faster SSD write (read is the same on both), Faster Single Core performance, Better Keyboard. Better Speakers, Better Microphone, 3x faster graphics performance but not for sustained loads like gaming, 2 hrs more battery life.

MBP Base (128GB) - Has Better Screen, Faster Multicore, Better Thermal Management, Does not throttle on sustained CPU loads. Faster sustained graphics performance.

Basically if your usage doesn't involve workloads that have sustained CPU/GPU loads like video editing then the MBA is the far better option.

Last edited:

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
The essence of most of the base MBP 13" vs 2020 i5 Air Comparisons are as follows:

MBA i5 - Has faster SSD write (read is the same on both), Faster Single Core performance, Better Keyboard. Better Speakers, Better Microphone, 3x faster graphics performance but not for sustained loads like gaming, 2 hrs more battery life.

MBP Base (128GB) - Has Better Screen, Faster Multicore, Better Thermal Management, Does not throttle on sustained CPU loads. Faster sustained graphics performance.

Basically if your usage doesn't involve workloads that have sustained CPU/GPU loads like video editing then the MBA is the far better option.
The big hope is that a new MBP 13/14" addresses SSD, keyboard, speakers, microphone, graphics etc etc

SaranshRolex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Thank you guys. Such a nice forum here. And ive change my opinion tho i think imma wait a month or two and see whether an updated macbook pro comes if not im going to get the air or.. if i go crazy i might even. Get the 16” pro 😂 but that would be really unnecessary. The thing is im a sucker for the p3 colour gamut. But still the air is looking so good tho they made such a nice amazing laptop tho

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
it actually seems like its going to be an upgrade across the board from my base 2016 NTB, except ... the screen.

I hope its good enough, and being non-P3 leads itself to a better panel lottery

$999 ended up being the right price too vs $1299 minimum for a 2020 14" Pro. Although I wonder if the $300 would be better spent for a better screen and maybe speakers and performance... ugh. Why am I debating this?

Im a casual user though and kinda liking the tapered design of my Air too, despite it looking like doesn't make much difference overall. Just excited to try the 'magic' keyboard after years of not having one with travel.

Reactions: vistokid