mbp 13-inch click the trackpad without response

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KeeeeenW, Oct 21, 2009.

1. KeeeeenW macrumors member

KeeeeenW

I bought mbp 13-inch one week after release. It was working fine until 2 month ago my trackpad start to show lack of response. Now it can not response to any click at all(both right and left click do not work). Although I can use tap and multi touch feature, I feel awkward since I can not click the track pad... I installed Snow Leopard, it did not help.. I guess it's the hardware problem...Plus, I bought this macbook in America, but I'm now in China,I don't know if chinese store can cover the warranty.. Do you think I need to call Apple to fix it? Does someone have the same issue???

2. analytical44 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I believe that's a hardware problem. I had a similar issue where only 30-50% of my physical clicks were being registered while tap to click worked fine. They wound up having to replace the trackpad as well as the base of my computer. I'd take it into the store as you are still under warranty and they should be able to swap the parts out for you. Sorry for the semi-bad news. It's a quick fix though, should only take them a couple hours once they have the part in stock. Good luck.

3. KeeeeenW thread starter macrumors member

KeeeeenW

Thank you! I will try to go to store to fix it...

4. analytical44 macrumors regular

5. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I have almost the exact same issue. Was going to create a new thread but did a search and actually found my answer quickly. That rarely happens. The physical clicks mostly all register and the tap to click ones all do register... My problem is the physical click isn't really a "click". It just pushes in a little and that's all. Most of the time it registers but not always and it's driving me nuts. I think there must be dirt or something behind there. I got it in June or July right after the refresh... (My brother talked me into a 15"-- I was going to go with 13" but I absolutely LOVE this one. My old computer was a 12" powerbook from 2004.) Is getting the track pad replaced my only option?

6. gorn macrumors member

I had something like this happen to me. A crumb or something got in there and my trackpad would make the "click" noise but not always register a click. It was incredibly frustrating.

Eventually the crumb came out. I might have helped by turning the laptop upside down and shaking it a bit (it was off obviously). Or maybe that had no effect.

7. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

I don't know what's wrong. I think I will take it in since no matter what I do it wont go away. Especially rereading that the OP has almost the same issue and is being advised to take his in.

8. KeeeeenW thread starter macrumors member

KeeeeenW

There were ants everywhere in my house... I bet they wanted to check the marvelous trackpad and got into my computer... LOL

9. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Sorry... horrible joke.