MBP 13 inch nTB Fan Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluewooster, Jun 8, 2017.

1. bluewooster macrumors member

I just received my 2017 13 inch nTB MBP about an hour ago and I've set it up as a new computer. I've noticed it has quite an audible fan that is on all the time. I've tried resetting it and I'm not running any processes. I'm hoping that something is running in the background (maybe Spotlight is indexing?) but I don't see anything using energy or CPU in the Activity Monitor.

From reviews, I thought the 2016 13 inch MBP was pretty much inaudible (though I understand the fan is always running). For those that have a 2016, do you recall if the fan was more noticeable for the first period of time?

Sorry for the (probably) premature thread - I'm guessing I probably should give it longer than an hour! Plus, I'll have my answer if I still hear it 2 days from now. I just really hate fan noise....
    Thanks!

2. Shaunthesheep macrumors newbie

Give it a couple of more hours, like you said it might be indexing and setting up your Macbook, it takes a day or two before it's completely finished.

However, the nTB that you have uses a lower wattage processor than the TB models. This makes the nTB develop less heat during usage, so the fan is actually supposed to be completely off most of the time, as long as you aren't running any heavy programs. Compared to the TB-models which always has the fans spinning.

I would wait a day or two before talong a visit to the Apple Store.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    My 2016 nTB pretty much never has it's fan running. Neither during the first day of using it.

3. bluewooster thread starter macrumors member

Yes - I overreacted. It seems to be completely quiet now. I can hear a very faint "whoosh" if I put my ear up to the upper right corner but it's not noticeable from a useable distance (even in a quiet room). Thanks for the feedback!

4. Jimios macrumors member

Jimios

Do the fans ramp up when you watch YouTube videos for more than 10-15 minutes? Especially with Chrome?

5. Pangalactic macrumors regular

I think you should still look into it, I can't hear ANYTHING from the macbook in a dead silent room unless I'm running some really heavy apps. Right now I have 20 tabs open in chrome, 5kplayer, omnifocus, things, slack, telegram, whatsapp, freechat, word, excel, itunes and qbittorrent open and there is absolutely no noise at all.

6. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

The 2016 base 13-inch TB model do rarely has the fans spinning at all, I don't know with higher configurations or 15-inch, but for the more heat, the nTB should very rarely spin at all.

7. bluewooster thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. After using my MBP for a couple days, I would say it is essentially quiet now - with typical usage, I can't hear any fan noise. However, I have had it kick in when transferring large amounts of data (downloading my Dropbox account to my hard drive) and when doing some installations.

I tried watching a 4k Youtube video in Chrome as suggested above and the fan never kicked in after 20 minutes. When I'm in clamshell mode, however, and using a 4k monitor, the fan kicked in very noticeably while watching Youtube.

Is this pretty comparable to your experience?