Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
I have the early 2011 model with Lion. Yesterday when I booted up, it started normally and as soon as I began to use it, it started beeping 3 times repeatedly, the light was also blinking, and the computer froze up. I think similar issue also happened a few months ago. I have upgraded the RAM to 8 gb. Could this be a RAM issue or something else? I restarted it and seems to be working fine now.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I have upgraded the RAM to 8 gb. Could this be a RAM issue or something else? I restarted it and seems to be working fine now.

Yes. It's the RAM. Try removing the modules and firmly re-seat them again.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
I have the early 2011 model with Lion. Yesterday when I booted up, it started normally and as soon as I began to use it, it started beeping 3 times repeatedly, the light was also blinking, and the computer froze up. I think similar issue also happened a few months ago. I have upgraded the RAM to 8 gb. Could this be a RAM issue or something else? I restarted it and seems to be working fine now.

These beeps are diagnostic beeps and indicate a detected problem with your system. From what i remember, 3 beeps indicates a problem with bad RAM.

nyc999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
the noise hasn't happened since then. if it happens again, will try reseating RAM. just wanted to make sure it is nothing else, since my apple care is expiring in a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.