MBP 13" Lag..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by evolute8, Aug 16, 2011.

1. evolute8 macrumors member

I'm experiencing a substantial amount of lag on my MBP.

Looked into istat and got the following result:

[​IMG]

Currently running on 4GB ram.

Will upgrading to 8GB ram reduce/remove the lag?

2. Untouchab1e macrumors newbie

First of all, lag is technically related to network traffic.. I reckon thats not your issue? It would help if you would elaborate on what exactly isnt running smoothly and under which circumstances..

You havent even told us what machine you have...

3. evolute8 thread starter macrumors member

running on a 13" i5 MBP using WD black 750GB and stock 4GB ram

lag usually occurs when opening and loading new tabs on chrome as well as safari

4. Untouchab1e macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard or Lion?

And do you experience significant slow-downs on other, more challenging tasks?

Has it always been like this or did it start doing this recently? Common, at least try and provide relevant information..

5. evolute8 thread starter macrumors member

6. Untouchab1e macrumors newbie

My questions remain.. also, is there any difference after a fresh reboot?

7. evolute8 thread starter macrumors member

it happened since yesterday, running on lion 10.7
    slow-downs also includes launching other applications/finder windows as well..

8. Untouchab1e macrumors newbie

Ive experienced significant slow-downs after upgrading to Lion.. I ended up just doing a clean install which helped a lot..

To answer your actual question though.. No, 8GB RAM probably wont help you much.. A SSD would give you a performance boost no other component upgrade can match..

9. evolute8 thread starter macrumors member

oh, i was thinking if there is RAM, there will be more free memory.
    which will in turn reduce the lag..

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You have 1GB of free memory, thus this definitely has nothing to do with your problem.
    inactive = free memory, ergo you have to add inactive + free to get your available memory.

11. Untouchab1e macrumors newbie

Exactly, you have plenty of RAM available.. 1GB free means that the OS cant find any good use for 1/4 of the your total memory.. so yeah, thats not the issue.. ref my previous post

12. evolute8 thread starter macrumors member

13. cmclaughlan macrumors member

Look at the number of page-in and page-outs: 26 in and 8 out. This is how often the OS has to read data from your disk and put it in main memory. On my 8 gig machine with CS5 + Bridge + Smultron (text editor) + VMWare Fusion + Nightly (Dev build of FF with leaky memory) + Skype (worse resource allocation known to man) + Adium that number is 6 in and 2 out. Meaning I am going to the disk less frequently than you, so my machine is running faster.

Something is eating memory. In your case Chrome. (Chrome is horrible with memory and eats it like its last night at the Vegas buffet)

And another thing, people are right that an SSD will help, a lot. In your case because it is pulling a lot of stuff from the SSD rather than a physical hard drive. But more memory will help since it won't have to ask for stuff from the hard disk as often.

And not running Chrome will help too .. just saying ...

14. Narse77 macrumors regular

Narse77

I just upgraded to 8GB due to running VMs. I noticed almost instantly how much more responsive Lion has been ten without running my VMs. I think Lion just likes to have more ram.