MBP "13 Late 2011 perfomance issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vedburtruba, Apr 20, 2015.

1. vedburtruba macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

I have MBP "13 Late 2011 with SSD and 16GB memory installed. Sometimes ago I begin to notice that device works much slower then before. I tried to upgrade it with new SSD (Crucial C4 240 GB) but it didn't help. I fixed permissions on SSD and HDD but it didn't bring any changes. Updating MacOS X from 10.10.1 to 10.10.3 also didn't change anything.

I like to play Starcraft 2 Nexus Wars map which utilize CPU very hard. Year ago it was not a problem to play it on my MBP but now it literally stops after 15-20 minites (about 0.5-1 fps).

I found that CPU temperature is about 65-70 degrees in idle state (1-3% CPU usage) and about 95 degrees when I play games. I tried to use cooling pad to lower the temperature but it didn't affect perfomance.

Sometimes it hard to use Chrome of Safari because of slow tabs opening and page renders.

I believe that something wrong becomes with my MBP and it was much more faster sometimes ago.

Could anybody help me to find a root of this perfomance issue?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Post a screenshot of your Activity Monitor, CPU and Memory tabs, then you can see what is going on.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Dust???

Open it up and see how dusty it is, you may just need to gently clean up the fans and maybe reapply the thermal paste.....

5. vedburtruba thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunatelly, issue does not affect only the Chrome, but also Safari and games which was running OK previously. :(

Thermal paste sounds usefull, thank you.

Also I think about clean re-install of Mac OS. Can it help?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes

It can help especially if you then just migrate back the stuff you actually need back and use it as an excuse to ditch anything you don't need anymore. A little spring cleaning and a new OS X install can go a long way.