MBP 13" late 2011 temp concern

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blizzie, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Blizzie macrumors newbie

Here's another thread asking for normal MBP operating temperatures since I cannot find sufficient information about the late 2011 13" model.

My laptop idles at 55C and goes from 65-75C when browsing the internet through Firefox. When watching a Youtube video temperatures hit up to 85C.

So.. what exactly are the nominal operating temperatures? I know MBP has no exhaust but dang.. 80C is just way too hot. I'm sitting here programming and looking info up on the internet and the laptop is way too hot for my lap...

First time buying a MBP for programming and engineering design. Should I be concerned with this issue? It doesn't seem feasible to have a laptop that runs this hot from normal web browsing.

Thanks.

2. foxyfabio macrumors member

If it's on your lap make sure the fans are not blocked.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

All current apple laptops have exhausts. Yours one too.

4. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

Yes, that is normal. Although I never get mine to over 80C by just watching YouTube videos, I do when I stream 2 or 3 sports live events at the same time.

I've been watching videos for about 30 minutes now and it's at 55C.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's Fine

Just don't block the exhaust vents at the back....Mines in a full body clear Speck case....Never overheats.

6. Blizzie thread starter macrumors newbie

The vent is that long, narrow gap below the battery area?

7. Risasi macrumors 6502

Battery is at the front...no, look at where the screen/lid hinge is. Intake is on the top-side of that hinge gap. Exhaust is on the bottom side of the gap. If you look from the back at the bottom side you can actually see some fins.

And I agree with others, your temps are fine. Extended temps above 100c would be cause for concern (maybe, I don't believe the temp monitors are super accurate), anything less don't worry about it. Your computer also has a fail-safe and will shut down to protect itself. So if it's shutting down on you, then worry.