MBP 13" Late 2012?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Elijen, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Elijen macrumors 6502

Elijen

Does anybody expect any upgrades to the current MBP 13"? Or even price drop after the rMBP 13" is out?

I would like to buy the MBP 13", but I don't want regret not waiting couple of weeks to miss upgrade like:

- quad-core CPU
    - SSD standard
    - better display (non-Retina)
    - dedicated GPU

Do you guys think any of the above upgrade is possible this year? I know about possible Haswell upgrade at Early 2013, but I don't want to wait that long.

Does it make sense to wait until October what happens after the rMBP 13" is out? (is the rumor confirmed?)

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

A lot of speculation on the specs of the alleged 13'' rMBP, I personally believe that it will see minor spec bumps and the only "new" thing about it will be the screen.

I'd buy now, they aren't rumored for a bit now. Buyer's Guide is yellow. You may want to wait if you can.

3. Elijen thread starter macrumors 6502

Elijen

If the only upgrade is the screen and the price is reasonable I would be happy. (the current display sux hard) Far more than if they would redesign it to non-upgradable/repairable beast like current 15" rMBP is.

The problem is I am not sure if the 13" rMBP will substitute the current 13" MBP or there will be 2 product lines as with 15" model. In the later case, I am afraid there will not be any spec bumps for the current 13" MBP :(

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

How do you figure the current display is no good?

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Can't see Apple upgrading a laptop that was only 'updated' in June this year?

More likely that *if* a retina-display 13" model is introduced, it will be as a separate product, like the current 15" retina-model is.

The 13" MBP is a fine product on its own, I don't see a need for Apple - yet - to have to update it.

6. Elijen thread starter macrumors 6502

Elijen

Yeah me neither, but still I have a *feeling* (similar to the one when you buy a lottery ticket).

Well it's 1280×800 113ppi which is not the best. My 12" ASUS 1201NL has 1366×768 130ppi. The 13" MBP actually offer less workspace & worse quality (ppi).

I know I could connect it to a external monitor, but that's extra money. I would be super happy if Apple would start to use same displays as for 13" Airs.

7. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

The MacBook Pro 13" does have a better color gamut though, a lot better than the MacBook Air.

8. Elijen thread starter macrumors 6502

Elijen

I know people say this, but I couldn't see any difference when comparing them and anyway I prefer higher pixel density (clear text) and more work space than better color gamut (which is not essential for my work).

----

OT: Macrumors just made me install flashblock. I hate ads with sound!!! :X

9. Elijen thread starter macrumors 6502

Elijen

The lack of rumors is disturbing. I'll probably order the MBP 13" in 2 days because I don't want to lose the "free 80 € for apps" offer.

If there will not be more rumors during the next 15 days (full refund if I return the MBP) I'll just keep it.

10. jigsb007 macrumors 6502

If you are planning to return within 14 days, make sure not to use $100 Gift card. otherwise you will get full refund of laptop but will not get money back on Gift card.

11. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

For what it's worth - when I compared the screen on my "new" Mid-2012 MBP 13" to my "old" late-2007 MBP 15", I was astonished how much brighter, and how much punchier the colours are, on the newer model Mac.

12. reardoma macrumors member

Didn't you hear?

Didn't you hear? The rMBP is going to be released (according to the timeline we've all be talking about) BEFORE the iPhone 5!!

13. Elijen thread starter macrumors 6502

Elijen

Thanks for the warning ;)

Good to know there was an update :) I'll probably buy an external IPS display anyway.

I don't understand your post, iPhone 5 is already released. Rumors on rMBP 13" are for October and I didn't see any rumors stating it would be released before.

14. Mapp1122 macrumors newbie

Ming-Chi Kuo's timeline:
    [​IMG]