MBP 13 low with 8GB RAM or MBP 13 high?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Red33m, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Red33m macrumors member

Red33m

What should I buy? A MBP 13" low and 8GB of RAM or just a MBP 13" high?

I want to ask something else too..does the new MBP 13 high has more proccessing power than the previous MBP 17 with an i7?

Thanks

2. forsakengod23 macrumors member

Easy , high end model , because ram is still upgradeable later and not the processor.

3. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

+1

while the ram boost is nice now apple ram is way over priced and you cannot upgrade the processor plus you also will get the larger hard drive.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I wouldn't really say that a 5400 rpm HDD is a selling point these days but the processor maybe worth the upgrade price to you... too bad you can't CTO the i7 CPU on the base model...

5. Red33m thread starter macrumors member

Red33m

That is what I thought too..

I am off to University(hopefully) in a couple of months and I want to get my self a good computer that I plan on keeping for as long as it can keep up.

So the high end is got to be the best choice.

Tha ms for the answers!

6. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

while the 5400rpm i agree is no selling point the extra 180gb is a plus to have when initially purchasing since there is no 7200rpm option was all i was saying. That way if it takes them a while to buy a 7200rpm drive to drop in you get some extra storage definitely something i value.

7. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i dont know what your budget or your requirements will be on the system because the low end is very capable. but in the scenario you posed it is better for longevity to go with the high end and get the i7.

If you went with the low end and dropped an SSD in then youd see faster speeds than high end but with the high end this is always an option. since you can always swap hard drives and ram.

8. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Wait till you get to Uni and buy it with the HE discount

9. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

he doesnt have to wait if he orders it just select the university you will be attending no further proof is required. They just limit you to 1 computer with education discount a year i believe

10. Red33m thread starter macrumors member

Red33m

I don't have very "tough" jobs to do with the laptop.. writing surfing and music. BUT I really like editing photos and videos too so an i7 could come in handy..

Also..sadly I am not eligible of taking an HE discount because I am not a US resident though I MIGHT be able to catch a good deal because a friend of my neighbors is one of the few people in the world that are being sent prototype models to test them out. So he might help me buy one in a good price :)