MBP 13" mate screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Javier Ferrer, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Javier Ferrer macrumors newbie

Hi..

I am planning to buy a MBP 13" in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if anybody knows if Apple has any plans to offer matte screens as an option for the MBP 13".

The 15" and 17" models have this option but I want a truly portable laptop. Should I wait until they offer this option? Or should I assume that maybe they will never offer this option for the 13" model?

Thanks.

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Took about 6 months for the 17" ->15" trickledown.. I wonder if that's how long it will take for the 15" -> 13" transition haha (February next year?). I wish they offered the Macbook Air screen on 13" MBPs from the beginning.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let me preface my answer first - I've been wrong before on what apple may or may not do.

Now with that out of the way, I'm of the opinion that apple will not be offering a matte display option for the 13" MBP to distinguish between the 13" and 15" models. I have no real proof of this, but I'm think its not going to happen. I also don't think we'll see any refresh to the MBP line for the remainder of 2009 so even if apple does decide to add the matte display I think it will be in 2010 at the earliest.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Now Apple is really marketing the 13" MBP as a decent machine compared to the poor uMB (i.e. poor screen, no FireWire..) it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually did offer a matte version on it.

I'd really like to know who made the call and their reasoning behind it for adding anti-glare to the 15".

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I want them to offer it, I prefer oh say 10/2009, but frankly, you know what sets a 13" aside from a 15" ... 2". Why call them all MBPs if you're going to insist on not giving features across the board? Processing and GPU are one thing, but matte/glossy? That's stupid.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I agree. Wasn't the whole point of making the 13" a MacBook Pro to eliminate the differences because they were so close? I don't see why Apple would try to "distinguish" at this point because if they wanted to, they would just leave the 13-inch as a MacBook. So many sources said the 15-inch matte option would never exist but it finally did. I would expect the 13-inch to get it too.

7. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Just so you know Powersupport does make an anti glare screen protector for the 13" uMBP, so you can keep the amazing bezel and have an matte screen to boot.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/anti-glare-film-for-macbook-aluminum-13

The picture doesnt actually show the product, but I know for fact that it covers the entire screen and bezel and makes the display matte, and if for whatever reason you dont like the matte display and would like to go back to glossy you can just take it off with no residue left behind ( I had one on my iPod touch and loved it).

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Good luck with that. Doesn't work so hot on the MBP's, fine for your iPod though. It will be ant-glare but picture quality suffers greatly - not worth the trade.

9. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I did not expect that one, seeing as how great their iPod and iPhones were. Oh well it was merely just a suggestion.

10. 7even macrumors 6502a

The problem on the MBP is that the screen surface is quite far from the glass surface, unlike the iPod/iPhone. Putting an anti-glare film layer on top of the glass makes the screen image fuzzy. The best solution is to take off the glass, instead of augmenting it...

11. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

They advertise that the screen will not diminish picture quality, so if you find it does, you should be able to return it.

I know people that have used similar screens, an nobody has complained that I know of. I don't use them because I prefer the glossy screen is it will only produce small localized glare instead of the larger diffused glare produced by the matte screens.

-jt2

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^^^^

What he said. They lie, it does get wayyyyy speckled especially on whites.

13. Javier Ferrer thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any way to remove the glass manually? Has anyone tried to take off the glass from a MBP?

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Take a look at iFixit.com for disassembly videos, but know it will likely void your warranty.

15. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Once you get past the glossy glass, there's still the glossy LCD screen - remove that and the liquid crystals go wild...

There are a few reasons why there might not be a matte 13" (apart from Herr Jobs being a jerk):
    1. Structural integrity of the lid (though the 15" matte option indicates this is overcomable)
    2. lack of a matte 1280x800 display with 'similar' colour characteristics to the rest of the MBP line. There are only a few LCD suppliers, most cater to the glossy mass-market. A number of the remaining 13.3" matte screens (e.g. Thinkpad X300/X301) are 1440x900 - which might be deemed to intrude too far on 15" territory.

FWIW I really would prefer a 1440x900 13" MBP for portability...

16. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

MBAir screen for 13inch MBP

I don't understand why they don't offer the MBAir screen for the 13inch MBP

I think most of the recent complaints about glossy really have to do with the glassy unibody displays not normal glossy anyway. Since Apple is already making 13 inch silver bezel displays for the air it can't be that hard to standardize the part for the 2 machines (okay maybe it is harder than i'm imagining here but still...) I actually prefer the silver bezel and I am currently typing this on a 13 MBP so yes I have much experience with the black.

Oh well. Atleast with apple not providing a matte option for the 13inch I have less buyers remorse...:eek:

PS otherwise this machine is amazing!

17. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

All I can say about the MBP 13" getting a matte screen is you'll need to be patient, it's coming. As long as every one keeps complaining about it that is. I think that's what got the fire wire back. Then again the screen being so small could it actually do more harm? :confused:

18. bluespark macrumors 65816

I completely agree. I went from the MBA to the 13" MBP and was amazed by the difference in glare. I don't see any advantage to the glass.

19. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Some say that the blacks are deeper. But I have yet to compare against a screen from a MBA or a MBP with a non-glassy screen.