MBP 13" Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bildio, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bildio macrumors regular

I'm planning to purchase a 13" MBP with 4GB memory. I want to add memory to make it 8GB.

Does the MBP come with an empty slot so I just purchase & add one 4GB module, or do I need to replace two 2GB modules with two 4GB modules?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This ^

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. jondob macrumors member

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
  6. Tonepoet, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

Tonepoet macrumors regular

Prices will drop eventually, so while it's not a practical upgrade at the moment, it's still a noteworthy price eventually.

Anyway, as all 2011 Macbook Pros use the same kind of memory, I can tell you easily by checking the specs of my modules that the specs you'll want two 1.5 volt 204-Pin DDR3 1333Mhz DDR3 SO-DIMM modules with 9-9-9-24 timing. No need for the crucial tool to tell you the exact same thing, although it might be good to have on hand for future computers. For earlier ones, Mactracker can also tell you what you need.

With the 2011 model, if you only want 4GB of RAM these modules should work as should these but if you can spare another $40 and think you might need even moreyou can go up to 8GB now with any of these or these and not need to worry about replacing your 2x2 modules later. Sorry for throwing up so many links 10600 and 10666 RAM are listed separately, allegedly for marketing purposes but otherwise identical according to what I've read.

If you want a specific recommendation, I only personally have experience with this G.Skill RAM since I got the shellshocker deal for $65 about a month back. It works nicely insofar as I can tell.

7. bildio thread starter macrumors regular

8. SakBee macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Damn, 16GB of ram? Talk about overkill. I like to have the best stuff for what I do, but that 16GB cost more than my laptop lol