mbp 13 mid '12 batery discharge under power...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vladster, Jun 26, 2012.

1. vladster, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

vladster macrumors member

Hi,

I've got brand new MBP '13 mid 2012 just last week, fully charged it before turning on first time....

Everything works fine, but I noticed that the battery drains slightly even though I never used\left the MBP without power adapter yet... In a course of the week it went from 100% to 97%.

I never had the battery discharge like that with either of my prev. MacBooks and , actually , non Apple laptops either...

Anyone can explain that?

P.S. I do not plug into MBP anything else but wireless mouse.

P.S. I do not use processes that would use too much laptop power either... I.e. - I do not believe that I exceed power adaptor's supplied power.

2. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

As far as I know once your battery reaches %100, your charger will stop charging your mac till it drops down to %95.

3. vladster thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I know and can feel that from other mac books.... But it never drained several percents in a course of several days... In fact, with my typical usage I never observed it drain at all.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal for your MBP to draw power from both AC and battery during periods of extreme demand, such as gaming or other multimedia operations. This can cause your battery to stop charging or even drain. Read the AC POWER section of the following link.

While you may not have launched an app that is consuming such resources, it's possible you have a process running in the background that is doing so. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Finally, it's possible that your connection to the MagSafe adapter is not completely secure at all times. See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. vladster thread starter macrumors member

Well.... I could believe that if I didn't use same software at my prev mac... And I always use CPU usage monitor.... CPU usage is low, fan is quiet, the laptop is cold....

I have checked CPU column in activity monitor for "MY Processes", ... will check for all processes as well, but do not think it's going to change anything as overall CPU usage is low.

I've spent most of the time configuring and downloading the software.

6. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Are you by any chance talking about battery health? Maybe that't the point of confusion here. It's worth making sure we're all talking about the same thing.

7. JediSkipdogg macrumors member

I have a question along the same lines. My MBP is 9 days old now and my battery health (yes, health) fluctuates from 97-99%, most of the times at the 97%. It took my last Macbook 4 years to hit 97%. Is this something I should be worried about/defect?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

9. vladster thread starter macrumors member

I'm speaking of battery charge level that I display in the right top corner of the display. It's not shown by default but can be turned on through settings.

10. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

That's expected. You're fine. Enjoy your new lappy!