MBP 13" mid 2009 battery replacment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by orph, Apr 3, 2016.

1. orph macrumors 6502a

hay iv got a MBP 13" mid 2009 that needs a new battery, drooped by the local official apple shop and got told there's none left :confused: & ill have to phone around all the 3rd party apple shops to see if they have any left.

which is a kind of pain and not ideal, the apple shop guy told me not to look at the ones one amazon/ebay etc because there not official apple ones.
    to be fair amazon/uk's reviews of them tend to show there cheep knock offs that dont have the same capacity, got to like amazon for that ebays much less transparent in that regard.
    (im in the UK)

any advice?
    any one used one of the un offical battery's ?

thanks

edit
    noticed i fixit has a EU shop are they a legit place to buy from ?
    https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Parts...arly-2011-Late-2011-Mid-2012-Battery-New.html

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I replaced mine with an Anker model purchased off of amazon. No idea on UK availability though.

A few cycles in and everything is great. Lasts around 5 hours of wifi browsing, office, iTunes, etc. pretty much the same capacity as the OEM one according to Coconut Battery.

3. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

no problems with your 3rd party battery?
    how long have you had it installed? (& was it easy to install)

4. Smoothie macrumors 6502

OP, I have your model MBP. I replaced the battery with one I bought from iFixit. Unfortunately, iFixit's stock of the battery appears to be old. It's possible that the OEM battery for this model isn't being made anymore. The battery they sent me was manufactured two years earlier and an exchange was also very old. These batteries lose capacity as they age even if they've never been used. To iFixit's credit, they were very responsive to my concerns.

Replacing the battery is very easy. Just follow iFixit's guide. You may have to purchase a third-party battery if you can't find an OEM version that's been recently manufactured. I plan on replacing my MBP at the next Apple refresh, so I kept the iFixit battery which should last long enough.

5. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply smoothie, i had a look at ifixit and it looks like a simple job already replaced ram/HD & as long as i dont lick it i think ill be ok :rolleyes:
    i spoke to the guy in the apple shop and did some google work and found out there are no 'official' battery's that you can buy online due to them not being safe for the public & to be fair id not trust my computers to most ppl i know :p

my main problem is i dont know which brand to trust or not to be ok, there all no name brands :confused: dont think they will melt then blow up but they might just not hold a charge that well

thanks for the help :D

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Just bought a new 2009 battery from eBay for $35.99 that says Apple right on it. It may not be the real deal or may be rebuilt or whatever the options are but it shows 1 cycle and full charge rating is exactly what it should be. It was advertised as new and everything appears that it is. Simple to swap. Cheap tools (I used my own) but it came with two drivers to complete the job.

7. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had a look on amazon at the 'official' battery's, in the reviews there's photos of ppl pealing of the :apple: text showing it's just a cheep sticker but mention that it works it's just not a real apple one.

had a look on line and simply no real battery will get to the public they where all held by apple and sent via internal distribution, phoned round the uk apple shops and every one sead that they never held battery stock just ordered them as needed.

kind of annoyed that you cant buy the actual official apple battery's anymore, ill have to get an generic one.
    one of my main conserens are that there seems to be no big name brands that iv seen making the battery's for the laptop there all no name brands so i have no idea about the quality, shore it'll be ok for a few weeks but will it be ok 1-3 years later?
    the official battery did well for about 4 years so hope a no name one can hold out for that long without any problems.

8. robvas macrumors 68020

NuPower batteries by NewerTech are pretty good

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Go back to Apple and tell them you need a battery for a mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro. It's the same part.

10. orph thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks robvas iv got some NewerTech camera gear had no idea they did batteries too.
    thanks for the tip t5brick, if i can ill drop by the shop next week and see what they say.