MBP 13" Mid 2010 Average Temperature

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joaodrp, Apr 25, 2010.

1. joaodrp macrumors newbie

hey guys,

I want to go for a macbook pro 13, but im just wondering to know what are the average temperatures of this new mbp 13". yeah, i know that the main difference is only the new graphic card, but this is worthwhile i think, because this graphic card could make some difference in beat values like it already make in energy consumption.

so something like this would be fine:
    - average temperature in low usage, web surfing + messenger app + youtube videos
    - average temperature in mid usage, something like hd on youtube + hard apps like photoshop, etc
    - average temperature in high usage, something like hd video + virtual machine activity + video/photo editing OR gaming.

so, lets share the temperature status of these new machines :)

2. rosas macrumors newbie

I'd also like to know some information about this if possible, as I am planning to buy myself a 13' mbp base model tomorow.
    thanks!

3. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I just have Chrome open with one tab open (these forums) and its 110°F and when I watch an HD youtube video about 10 mins long it runs around 165°F my computer specs are in my sig.

4. joaodrp thread starter macrumors newbie

is that the GPU temperature or CPU?

how does it feel if you work with it in your lap? do you feel the heat in your lap?

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

My mom has the 2.4GHz base MacBook Pro 13inch mid 2010. When she was importing her 18,000 photos into iPhoto, the Intel Core 2 Duo reached 180F. Fans were spinning at 5234 RPM. CPU usage was around 50%-90%. The bottom was not very hot though. I'm typing this on her computer right now. I really love this laptop. If someone downloads CPU Test, this will stress the CPU. When I did this on an early 2008 15inch MBP with a 2.4 Core 2 Duo, the cpu reached 218 Fahrenheit. Thats FRICKEN hot. It didn't even shut off.

6. agr5 macrumors member

I have Firefox open (5 tabs), iTunes (listening to music) and Parallels is open running Win7 64bit that is installing Office Enterprise 07 and my CPU temp is at 157 degrees F.

7. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

2-week old MPB 13" (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo):
    light use (Firefox, iTunes): 113-degrees F
    medium use (add Photoshop, Quicktime, HD on YouTube): 124-degrees F
    heavy use (add video rendering in Final Cut Pro, more Firefox tabs): 135-degrees F

All three enclosure bottomside sensors get to 91-degrees F even with light use after a few minutes, but never go any higher.

8. joaodrp thread starter macrumors newbie

well, thats not to hot considering that you are using it hardly. thanks for your post!

and how does it feels externly? i mean, palm rests, bottom, etc. its cool or heating like internal components?

9. agr5 macrumors member

The left palm rest is a little warm but that's it.

10. mattrothcline macrumors newbie

Folks, please take any CPU temperature numbers with a grain of salt. The thermal diode that measures the CPU temperature is not actually a part of the CPU core, and there can be discrepancies when converting the digital reading from that diode into an analog temperature in degrees.

Heat really boils down to two questions:
    1) Is the machine too hot to use comfortably?
    2) Do the computer or any applications crash when the temperature heats up?

If the answer to both of these questions is "no", then don't sweat the particular degree measurements.

11. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I believe there is a thermal sensor glued to the heat sink, and one built into the CPU itself. When it was at 200+F, its would burn your legs. I slightly burned the palm of my hand touching the bottom. Although the average consumer wouldn't stress test the system anyway.

12. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

It really also depends on the room temperature. My MBP averages around 120-140 degrees in the summer and 110-120 in the winter during normal use. Although it's not the model you were asking for, expect variations in response temps.