MBP 13 Mid-2010 + External display ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1stdaz, Jul 16, 2012.

1. 1stdaz macrumors newbie

Hi,

New around here. I like this forum ; very useful for a new mac user.

I just got a question concerning my MBP 13 mid-2010 (2.4ghz, SSD m4 256gb, 8gb ram, Intel core 2 duo). I would like to buy an external display simply to do some text work (long writing sessions, for which a 13 inch display is really too small and hard on the eyes) and to watch movies (BD rips and DVDs). I used to have a kind of cheap Samsung monitor with a VGA plug and the image was not good at all, even working with Word. I guess I'll get a much better image quality using DVI or HDMI through the Mini Display Port ? But what display would you recommand to me ? I have about 250-300$ to spend on it, maybe even more since I decided to not buy a new Mac this year (rMBP or MBA). I heard a bit about the Ultrasharp Dell monitors. What about them ? Other nice options ? I would like to keep the same image quality as it is actually on my MBP for the external display. Is it possible or necessarily I will lose quality when plugging the external display ?

Your advices on this would be really appreciated, as were the ones about the Crucial M4 and the Crucial ram which work like a charm !

Thanks

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Not too many you can go wrong with in that price range. Quality will not suffer.

Try sites like newegg.com and sort by best reviewed within a price range.

IPS Dell UltraSharps are good displays to go with. You will need a MiniDisplay to HDMI or DVI adapter. They run in the $10ish range for a decent one on Amazon.

Good luck!

3. 1stdaz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess any external display is good to read and write ? The MBP screen is quite good for long reading sessions and I would like to be able to do the same with the external display.

Any other ideas about that ?

4. OldeGrayWolf macrumors newbie

Guess I'm newer than you. What did you go with? Problems?

So, I found your thread while trying to resolve an issue with my late 2009 MBP and wondered what display you went with. Especially interested in: Do you have Snow Leopard? I can't get any external monitor to 'wake up' when connected to the MBP via miniport cable/adapter. Still searching this forum threads for a fix.