MBP 13" mid 2010 - upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freshe, Jul 26, 2012.

1. freshe macrumors regular

Hey all,

My friend asked me to freshen up her mbp as she found it bit slowish. She wants more storage and memory. So I came up with this spec:

1) Removing the ODD and getting 2nd HDD caddy there.
    2) CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7 - 8GB (2x4gb) Corsair Apple/MacPro DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-8500 (1066), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 7-7-7-20, 1.50V
    3) 500GB Seagate ST95005620AS Momentus XT Hybrid SSD, 2.5" 9.5mm SATA 3Gb/s 7200rpm 32MB Cache 11ms NCQ - OS drive
    4) 750GB Western Digital WD7500BPKT Scorpio Black, 2.5", 9.5 mm, SATA 3Gb/s, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache, 4ms - storage drive

I guess it will drain battery fast, but it sits on the desk connected to power supply most of the times anyway.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I've read the 750 momentus xt is a big improvement over the 500...bigger and better flash component. This also explains why the 500's are significantly cheaper, retailers are attempting to clear them out.

If you're going the optibay route and are concerned with speed and battery life, why not go with a decently priced SSD? Newegg has the 240 gig mushkin enhanced chronos deluxe for $179 TODAY. Use the SSD for the boot and primary drive and the optibay for mass storage.

And if it's primarily going to be used on a desktop, couldn't you just use an external drive in a FW800 enclosure?

3. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Well she wants to keep it all in one. I read somewhere that there might be some issues with MBP mid 2010 and 750 Hybrid seagates. And I think it's Sata 3, where 500GB is sata 2. It said if your HDD serial has AS at the end it will work fine with your MBP. The 500 version has that in serial number the 750 does not.

The SSD's are still bit expensive imo to put into 2010 model. I was thinking of getting maybe 60 GB ssd for OS but then why bother if you can get 500 and bit faster OS loading due to that SSD part in it.

I think the 250GB she has is bit slowish and already full. With extra ram and even slower hybrid drive she will find her battered laptop much freshier than before. And with plenty of storage.

She's using it for her photos and internet, and very seldom to do some iphone video stuff so I think this upgrade might give her few more years of her MBP.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

Hybrid is asking for trouble. Put a 1TB WD Blue in the optibay and 128/256GB SSD in the HD bay.

5. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Why ?

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

How much or how little to spend?

1. Check for page outs in activity monitor. If there's not much there, you don't need ram (even though it's the best bang for the buck upgrade there is IF YOU NEED IT).

2. The big culprit could be her older 5400 rpm hard drive filling up.

a. Is there old crap (copies of unused os'es, unwatched movies, old tv shows, pictures of ex-boyfriends and dead pets) to delete and make space?

b. Bigger or faster conventional hd. Just swapping out an older filled up hd for a newer and bigger one can help a lot. 7200 rpm hard drive can result in noticeably improved boot and app load times.

c. Hybrid hard drive? Assuming what you learned through your research was valid, and the larger, more capable momentus xt won't work, I see this as being the least effective bang for the buck. Considering a hybrid has less capacity and is the same price or more than a larger conventional 7200 rpm drive, you'll only gain slightly improved boot up and app launch times.

d. The robvas solution. SSD's are probably the best way to give an older mac that fresh from the apple store smell and feel back. The WD blue is a good, solid, dependable drive and has less power usage and vibration than most for mass storage. It has the best of both worlds and can fit into her little portable.

3. Other considerations.

a. Law of diminishing returns. Depending on which of the options you choose, the cost can be from nothing to possibly up to $500 for maxing out the ram, an SSD, the 2nd hard drive and the optibay. More money spent now means less money to spend later for a newer, more capable system. Let's say you can buy her another year of comforable use with a ram upgrade and cleaning non essentials off of her old disk. 512 gb ssd's that are now selling for $400ish now will probably be selling for $300ish or less in 2013. Wham, bam, thank you (says) ma'am!

b. Congratulations, you'll now be her personal apple genius! If anything goes wrong with the install, you will be held responsible. And if anything breaks down the road, it will be your problem solely. With a stock system, she can take it to the apple store, let the pros mess with it, and you can stay at home and catch a game. Win/win!

c. What does SHE want? Let's say you're in a committed relationship, and co-habitating. Proudly, you present her old laptop, she notices a difference in how it operates and asks you about the cost. God help you if you tell her that it only cost $435 of 'our' money if you didn't go over that with her first. You will then learn that she'd rather burn the old pictures and movies to DVD's and have the mother of all spa days (or shoes, fancy dinners, whatever) with the remainder. And the aftermath will not be pretty.

d. Use case scenario. If it primarily sits at a desk plugged in, couldn't you sell the mini pro and buy a baby iMac? Make damn sure you discuss that option over with her before exercising it, or you will have the rich social life of a benedictine monk for the foreseeable future.

Just some things to ponder. Good luck!

7. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Can I use Sata 3 SSD here ? All this MBP can take is Sata 2. I presme Sata 3 will work as Sata 2 ?

8. njaremka macrumors 6502

9. LCTN macrumors newbie

This is exactly my setup, also on a 13" mid-2010 MBP. I've been using it since February and it is flawless, I won't be buying a new computer any time soon:)

My SSD is in the optibay and the Samsung HDD is in the main bay;).

10. njaremka macrumors 6502

i'm hoping to upgrade my mid-2010 13" MBP to this set-up also. just need to pick up the SSD and optibay adapter. (already have the 1TB installed)

11. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

Since you already have an SSD in slot 1, you're probably better off going with a Scorpio Blue or Spinpoint M8 for the second drive (great battery life and lots of storage). Either that, or a second SSD. In my experience (16 months) battery life is not affected by any noticeable amount by running a second drive.

12. dona83 macrumors regular

Why bother with a hybrid drive? 120GB SSD for under $100 paired with a 1TB HDD. You will notice a considerable speed bump with the SSD. I have the same system as you, it used to take 67 seconds to boot and load AutoCAD, now it takes just 28 seconds. The Momentus XT is faster than the HDD but still lags with write times.

13. freshe thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, might go with SSD then. But I almost missed this. What is the acceptable height of the ssd drive ? The crucial from link above has 7mm height. The other SSDs I was looking at had 9.5mm. I presume both will do ?