MBP 13" mid 2012 vs MACBOOK AIR 13" 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by denisbarbov, Sep 1, 2013.

1. denisbarbov macrumors member

Hello, I will be buying new laptop soon and I want it to be Apple's. I was wondering which one to get. If it will be the MBP: 2.5GHz i5, Graphics 4000 4GB RAM(I will upgrade later myself), 500GB. And if it is going to be MBA it will be 1.3GHz i5, Graphics 5000, 256 GB SSD. I will be using it for movies and web mostly. But as the school year starts I will be using it for document editing, light photo editing with photoshop, and light video editing with up to 5 minutes clips with After effects and maya 3d. Hope you could help me choose. :)

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hey, denisbarboy

I would recommend the 2013 MBA. Firstly, the display will be much better. Secondly, the battery life is to die for. Finally, The GPU in the air is substantially better, though the processor might be slightly underpowered. Air will be ideal for college. However, if you plan to keep the laptop for 4 years or more, I would recommend that you go for the i7 processor and 8GB RAM (especially RAM, since it's fixed and can't be upgraded). If that is not possible, the pro might be the way to go.

Regards
    Raptor

3. skolvikes macrumors newbie

mba...just way better value all around with battery, ssd, etc.

if you will keep it more than a couple years i say go for the 8gb upgrade in ram tho

4. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

just like 2 posts above mine, go for the air. unless you are willing to wait for the Haswell MBP ;)