MBP 13" mid 2012 vs MACBOOK AIR 13" 2013

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by denisbarbov, Sep 1, 2013.

1. denisbarbov macrumors member

Hello, I will be buying new laptop soon and I want it to be Apple's. I was wondering which one to get. If it will be the MBP: 2.5GHz i5, Graphics 4000 4GB RAM(I will upgrade later myself), 500GB. And if it is going to be MBA it will be 1.3GHz i5, Graphics 5000, 256 GB SSD. I will be using it for movies and web mostly. But as the school year starts I will be using it for document editing, light photo editing with photoshop, and light video editing with up to 5 minutes clips with After effects and maya 3d. Hope you could help me choose.

PS:Sorry but it turned out I've posted in the other subforum. :)

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

I would only consider the cMBP over the MBA if you budget at least the SSD upgrade. A cMBP for $999 (Apple edu discount) with 256gb SSD would be a much faster machine. You'd have to upgrade to i7 on the MBA to come close to the 2.5Ghz CPU on the cMBP.

3. denisbarbov thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, so I have to buy the MBP base and add SSD? You're saying that the MBP is better the the air. I thought that the air is good because of the HD 5000. Thanks in advance.
    PS: What does the "c" stand for in cMBP?

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

c=classic MBP

The HD5000 on the MBA is severely power constrained and can only show it's true performance potential when the CPU is being underutilized as it has to work in a 15 watt TDP budget. For example, Apple likes to show off 3dMark benchmarks which show the HD5000 clobbering the HD4000. Those benchmarks primarily stress the GPU, while CPU relaxes. This allows the Haswell power controller to dedicate the majority of power to the GPU. In real life modern gaming (sorry, Portal is not 'modern' gaming), the CPU/GPU is equally used, so their both throttled. To summarize, the HD5000 is only about 15% or so faster than the HD4000 in the MBA. The rMBP Haswell will have over 2x the power budget so the HD5100/Iris will be better to stretch it's wings.

The cMBP best advantage is it's potential upgradability. The MBA is faster out of the box (for non-cpu constrained tasks) and much better battery life. Also, if you pay Apple to upgrade the cMBP to SSD, the MBA is actually a better 'value'. Me, I'd put a Samsung 256gb SSD in my 2012 cMBP for $150.