MBP 13" Moving parts on right pad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

My MBP 13" 2011, only 8 days old now.
    On the right pad of the resting of ur right hand...
    everytime if i tap on it or bang on it lightly, i hear this cranky noise. Sounds like a fan when you try to stop it.

Is this normal?

2. dkillgo macrumors member

I get a similar noise coming from the right side of the laptop when I pick it up sometimes. I notice it the most if I pick up the laptop with one hand and it doesn't stay level. I haven't had any problems with my MPB yet though. (2011 13 inch).

I haven't opened up the laptop to investigate, but I suspect it may be the DVD drive. Or possibly the hard drive (I hope not).

To anyone else who may know what this noise is, is this something to be concerned about? Should myself and the OP take our MPBs back to Apple for repairs?

3. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

The area to the right of the trackpad is where the HD is. The sound you're hearing is the sound of the laptop parking the HD read/write head to avoid damaging the disk due to the sudden movement.

4. dkillgo macrumors member

So that's nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the clarification.

5. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

6. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

I also occasionally hear a noise on the right-hand side of my laptop when I pick it up with one hand and/or move it so it's good to know for sure what it is.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would be careful moving it when it's on, if you do so.

8. sdneidich macrumors member

FYI: Moving a hard drive while in use excessively can result in damage. Thats why I got a SSD. But you should avoid moving the computer with HD when it is on, or you can damage the HD.