MBP 13" newest model... randomly shut down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harshvibes, Jun 29, 2010.

1. harshvibes macrumors newbie

I saw an older thread with this issue but not sure if its the same excact problem.

I just bought a it a few weeks ago. core duo 2 2.4ghz 4gb ram etc.

I had the firefox open and itunes. just listening to music and cleaning my room and all the sudden it just shut off. It was plugged in.

:(

any ideas why it happened?

2. Beefy macrumors member

Do you use istat to keep an eye on your temperatures at all? Overheating is the first thing that came to my mind.

3. harshvibes thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm. I don't have that, free download yeah?
    Is that really possible? I mean, it wasn't doiing heavy processing. Also, I have a keyboard cover on.

4. Beefy macrumors member

Yep, it's free.

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

Anything is possible at this point and it would help narrow down the reasons for the shutdown if it's not overheating.

I've never used a keyboard cover, but depending on how it's made and/or what it's made of, that could make a difference.

5. harshvibes thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got istat, it says my cpu is 130F. What is a too hot? And what temps should i be watching?

Thanks.

6. Beefy macrumors member

That's about 55C which is just fine. If that was celcius your computer wouldn't be on.

Try and open the same pages in Firefox and all the same programs and try to replicate the previous situation.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That is not at all too hot. It wouldn't shut down unless it was probably about 220F, which is almost impossible to get to. Mine usually runs anywhere between 130 and 140F, so no need to worry about that. The CPU and HDD are the temps I usually watch, and I am pretty sure the upper limit of the HDD is around 120F or so.