MBP 13" - no caps lock LED, no power button

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iThinkFan, Nov 12, 2012.

1. iThinkFan macrumors newbie

I'm working on a 13" Mid 2010 MacBook Pro which survived a milk spill about year ago. The milk was spilled on the right half of the keyboard, so that was not working - together with the power button. Aside from that, the Macbook was working fine after I powered it up some months ago using the power pads - so I decided to have a new topcase ordered and to transfer all components to it.

After disassembling the Macbook, I couldn't find any residues of milk on the logic board, so I decided not to clean it with isopropyl, but just to put everything back together. Aside from that, I found that somebody busted the keyboard ribbon cable ZIF connector when checking the MBP earlier. After reassembling the notebook, the keyboard was not working at all, as expected, because the cable had no contact to the pins on the logic board.

This is how the connector looks like right now.

To get around that issue, I put some tape on the ribbon cable and fitted the cable back into the connector - so now, the keyboard is working again. However, two things are still out of order:
    - the green caps lock LED (caps lock, however, is working fine)
    - the power button
    I don't care about the LED, but the missing power button is quite a downside, as I want to get the MBP back into daily business and I'm not going to use it myself, so having to turn it on via the power pads after shutting it down is not an option.

Do you have an idea what could cause the LED and the power button to be unfunctional?

Is there a pinout scheme for the keyboard cable somewhere? If so, I'd check what happens if I connect the power pins on the connector to find out if it is a logic board issue or something related to the cable-logic board-connection.

Thanks in advance!

iThinkFan

Attached Files:

2. iThinkFan thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Will almost always be a bad connection somewhere. The power button should be easy enough, it just shorts two wires, attempt to trace these (very fine) wires. Got a ohmeter I hope.

4. iThinkFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, got one, of course. But as there are no cables coming from the power button, I assume that it's connected via the keyboard's flex cable, right? Is there a pinout for that? I could only find info directly on the power button, some sources say that it's pins 5 and 6, some others say it's 5 and 29...

5. iThinkFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Would be great if somebody could help me. I'd really like to get this thing back into productive usage...