MBP 13" now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by magimat, Nov 4, 2010.

  1. magimat macrumors newbie

    Nov 4, 2010

    I've been a PC guy all my life and I'm finally ready to make the switch and try a mac. My Dell laptop is aging and I've been looking into the Macbook line recently.

    The size that attracts me the most is definitly 13". I currently own a Dell m1330, which is almost exactly the same size as the MBP 13" and I am quite comfortable with this size.

    I plan on using it mostly to surf the web and read emails, but I will also certainly manage my photos and I have a lot of recorded videos of my daughter that I would like to play with and make some DVDs. Also, I'm not an hardcore gamer but I enjoy some gaming once in a while so I would probably install Windows 7 with bootcamp and install a game or two.

    Finally, I work as a developper and I would like to play around with objective-c and try some stuff on my iPhone. I will probably never make it to the app store, but I want to get some experience with XCode and iPhone developping.

    So I am very interested by the MBP 13", but I have the feeling that it is the "underdog" in the MB line right now. I mean, the Core 2 processors are definitly not the latest and greatest and with all this hype about SSD, I'm not sure I would feel very good about buying an old school 5400rpm harddisk....

    Anyway, I really like the design and size of the MBP 13" and the backlit keyboard, but I'm wondering if I should maybe wait a few other months and hope Apple will update the MBP 13" to some more actual specs. I would really love to see the new screen and SSD of the MBA into the MBP 13" and maybe an i3 or i5 processor.

    So, what do you guys think? Should I go for it right now or wait a little bit? Apple just announced the new MBA, so how long so you think it will take before they refresh the MBP line? Keep in mind that this will be my first Mac, so any advice is welcome.

  2. shyam09 macrumors 68020


    Oct 31, 2010
    woot! youre just like me.. going form PC to mac! haha

    so according to many rumors.. things point out that the new MBP will come out in january or february. nothing is 100% sure though.. i mean its apple. they could decide to come out with the New amazing MBP in the summer when OS X Lion is released. who knows.
    that being said.. it will be a definite thing that the MBP will have i processors (because Core 2 Duos are going out of production i believe)

    if you want to wait, cool,
    im just going ahead and buying the MBP now because i really dont care for the i processors. they are amazing but i have a Quad core processor in my desktop (which is nothing compare to i5/i7, but still i dont do intense things), and because if they add them (according to me) my guess would be battery life would go down a bit (please correct me if im wrong)

    on the macrumors buyer's guide for MBP it says:
    * The 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro received a new build-to-order option for a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor on October 20th, 2010. The new option does not constitute a full update to the MacBook Pro line, but does suggest that a more substantial update to the full MacBook Pro lineup is not imminent.

    this means that you wont see an update in the next couple of months, but hte next apple showcase thingy we will see a MBP possibly. but once again if MIGHT, no one can be 100% sure. lol!

    wait if you dont need it NOW, and get it if you wish :p
  3. aeboi macrumors 65816


    Sep 20, 2009
    Bay Area
    if you need it now then definitely go for it, it's plenty capable
  4. fsumom macrumors regular

    Nov 1, 2010
    My MBP 13" is arriving tomorrow :). I'm also switching to Mac. I know that most will say to wait since an upgrade is due sometime early next year, but I have no need to wait. I will use my MBP for the same reasons as you except I don't game at all. I'm sure the base 13" is perfectly capable for what I need it for.
  5. josh2012 macrumors member

    Jan 29, 2010
    My guess is they will release the new MBP's either in April or this summer along side Lion. I'm personally waiting till the next release and Lion to buy a new 13" MBP. If you can wait I definitely would, as you noted the i processors are coming, and hopefully SSD's should be coming in some form, as well as the possibility of LightPeak.
  6. stevelam macrumors 65816

    Nov 4, 2010
    well seeing as you're not even going to be doing anything significant on it besides view photos/surf the internet/checking email, you might as well buy it now. the extra horsepower in the next revision (whenever that may be) will be pointless for you.
  7. Narse77 macrumors regular


    Jun 24, 2010
    c2d chips are not as slow as people think. The i3 chips they would have used in the 13 if they had decided to do so are not much faster and in some cases slower than the c2d. I run the current 13 and play WoW and SC2 with no problems under bootcamp, I just wish Apple would bring osx to windows gaming levels already I hate to boot into windows.
  8. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

    Jul 1, 2010
    It seems like the MBP may be updated early next year around March-April for a best guess. The C2D processor is actually faster than most believe and seems like it would do everything that you listed. If you are in no rush the next update is probably months away, yet you could purchase a system now and start enjoying. If you have a microcenter around go there and get one for $999 and same some money.
  9. shyam09 macrumors 68020


    Oct 31, 2010
    yes i agree. the i5/i7 processors gives the 15-17 inches 9 hours of battery life, so if we figure that i5/i7 will be included in this 13 inch then the battery life will most likely go down (but then knowing apple, they will do some funny thing and increase their battery life to 12 hours so it looks like its super amazing haha!

Share This Page