MBP 13 or 15 inch: WebDeveloping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChocoboNL, Nov 7, 2009.

1. ChocoboNL macrumors member

Hii everyone,

So, this is the situation; I am using a MacBook3,1 (late 2007 if I'm not mistaking) right now, it sports an awesome 2.0GHz C2D processor, 2.5gb ram (DDR2 @ 667MHz) and the GMA X3100 integrated GPU.
    I use it for college (I study Economics) and for WebDeveloping (a side-job to make some Euro's, I figured it's a lot more fun and lucrative than the general side-job students have). I suppose the most stressful situation I would regularly put my computer in would be running PS and DW, Parallels with W7, a couple of different browsers, and the usual entertainment and connectivity apps (iTunes, Adium/ Skype/ QQ, etc.). I do this on my current MB, and it's no fun (especially when running W7 it's practically paralyzed).
    I'm going on holiday end-december and might pick up a MBP.

First of all, they would probably get an update around jan/feb, right? Usual cycle I think.. However, I buy it either this holiday or won't buy it at all (for a while). So what are the expected updates? Quad-cores? Would it be wise?
    Assuming now that it would still be worth it to buy the MBP, would a 13" one serve my needs? It should already be a considerable upgrade from my current MB, correct? Or would the 15" (with, I was thinking about the one with 9600M 256MB) be a wiser decision?

To illustrate my preferences a little, I currently walk around the house with my MB a lot, I also carry it with me to college very often (and I like doing this in a standard sleeve and my trusty EastPak). Would getting a 15" model make this very cumbersome? Or even 'impossible' (does it fit in an EastPak)?
    Furthermore, even though I make money with it I just have like.. one project every two months. So it's a very part-time job ;)
    Oh, and I'll be passing my current MB on to my dad, so I can't use it anymore. And I only have a laptop, no desktop, to work on (I do have an ext. monitor)

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

tough to say. Whenever I do stuff like that I hook my 13" up to a rather large monitor. Aside from that, the portability makes this thing amazing.

In the forthcoming update to the 13" we may see a discreet graphics option but I somehow doubt the availability of quad core. At least in the 13".

If the 21.5" imacs don't sport quad core I doubt the 13" MBP will.

3. kolax macrumors G3

I carry my 15" MacBook Pro around with me all the time. Don't find it awkward to carry at all. I'd definitely recommend it if you are doing web development - the extra screen real estate will be a nice benefit for when you are wanting to just lie down on a sofa and work, instead of working behind the desk.

I really do think the 15" is the optimal size for portability and screen size. Make sure you check out the anti-glare version too ;)