MBP 13" or 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ven8, May 9, 2011.

1. ven8 macrumors newbie

like the title says... I am about to buy my first mac, probably a macbook pro, but I can't really decide whether I should buy the 13 or the 15inch...

Currently I have a 14.1" notebook (vaio) and the screen size is perfect for me, but I'm not sure whether a 13" would be sufficient for me...

Where I will be using it for : mainly regular stuff like web browsing, office (word etc.), apps like iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie... but sometimes also things like photoshop and Xcode... I don't really game a lot on a computer because I have a PS3, but sometimes (rarely) I like to play a game on my notebook because it is portable...

Of course I can always connect it to a bigger monitor if a 13" would be too small for me... One of the big differences is the price, because if I buy the 13", I would be able to buy an SSD for it as well (optibay)

Also, I'm probably going to buy an iPad (cheapest one) in the future and I was wondering whether the combo of a 13" mbp w/ iPad actually makes sense, because there isn't much difference in screen size...

And last but not least, I heard that the 15" also suffers from overheating... my previous notebook stopped working because it was also overheating and I don't want to be in that situation again...

Any thoughts/experiences/advice ?
    Thnx in advance...

2. francis21 macrumors member

Well, it sounds like if you want that portability, go for the 13" model. It's actually all about your personal tastes too. But if you want more screen estate, especially for watching some movies or TV shows, I would spend a little bit more money for the 15" model. Furthermore, it comes with the new ATI GPUs alongside with Intel's (crappy; lol) integrated graphics. You can even play some intensive games on the 15" model. However, since you don't do a lot of gaming on your laptop, then a 13" model would be sufficient enough for your needs.

Regarding about getting an iPad - well, they are two different things. They attempt to accomplish different things. iPads are tablets - a whole new category different from what we call laptops. These things are used for portability, and are not meant to run intensive tasks, as you would expect from an MBP. Again, its about what you need. Hope this helps. :D

3. cyda macrumors newbie

hi,
    i was in the same situation like you. i decided to buy an macbook pro 13" and couldnt be happier.
    If im at school or somewhere else, i relly love the portability and the less weight. and at home, i connect it to a bigger display. So i have the best for any sitioation: portable on the go, huge display at home