MBP 13 or MBA 13 ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freddy-b, Jan 24, 2011.

1. freddy-b macrumors regular

iam not sure if i have done the right choice...

do u think i should have bought a 13" MBA instead of my 13" MBP.. ?

i like to do photoshop and use heavy usage software..

i dont know if i made the right choice on buying a MBP..?

any help?

Thanks,
    fred

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What are you looking for "help" on? If people told you they thought you should have gotten an MBA would you actually exchange it? What is the point of your question? Either machine will probably do what you need it to do just fine- whatever "heavy usage software" means.

3. cheeseblock macrumors member

i think you made the right choice. either way you still have a shiny new mac. and unless you really need a laptop as ridiculously thin as the MBA, you should go with the MBP. more power, more customization/upgrade possibilities. if you really desire the MBA's startup speed and solid-state benefits, then remove your MBP's dvd drive, and replace it with a solid-state drive big enough for all your applications and OSX. then you'll still have your regular harddrive for storing stuff, but the new SSD for quick startup and app opening

4. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I wouldn't bother exchanging it.

You would be paying an extra $100 for
    • A slower processor
    • Half the storage
    • Half the ram
    • No ODD (which may be a plus for you, depending on your usage)
    • No backlit keyboard (which is very helpful if you ever use the thing in the dark)
    • 3 less hours of battery life (this is based on maximum for both, you probably don't get 10 hours per charge on your MBP. Either way, the battery will last longer than the Air.

The only thing you will gain is a notebook that is 1.6 pounds lighter and .27 inches thinner (compared to the Air's thickest point, .84 inches at it's thinnest)

That's not very much to be gained.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

Lack of the backlit keyboard is a deal breaker for me. Once you have a laptop with one, you realize how nice the feature is. So stick with the MBP 13.