Mbp 13' Or Mba 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Madrid, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Madrid macrumors member

So I got my macbook pro 13' baseline model. I saw that apple recently released the new macbook air,so my question was should I return my macbook pro and get the 13 baseline air? Im a high school student and I already have a 2009 iMac as my main computer. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a FaceTime Hd camera which i wanted to use for videos. Could I use my iPhone 4 and get the same quality? I would edit it mostly on my iMac so I wouldn't really use my laptop for editing. That said which computer would fit me best? And is 128Gb really enough Hard drive? Also could I return my macbook pro to best buy and get the air? Or would I have to pay a restocking fee?

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

If HD camera is a must then keep your MBP. The macbook air probably won't give any benefits that you would seriously need. The iPhone 4 FaceTime camera is undoubtedly nowhere near as good as the ones on the macbook pros.

3. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

True what if i used a tripod and used the back camera? Would that help it?

4. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

seems like a lot of unnecessary work :eek: but I guess it can work. Honestly though, since you are in high school you won't really need the portability of the air in most situations. If you REALLY REALLY want the air you can probably do a exchange as long as it's within best buy's returns policy window. My suggestion by listening to your needs though it might be better to stay with the MBP but in the end it's your call :cool:

5. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Lol true but I was doing a little research on this website and it says the macbook pro is almost do for a refresh in like 3 months or so according to the average # of days per refresh so that is sorta why. I don't want my macbook pro to be old hardware so fast

6. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

The last refresh was february, even if an update comes in september it will only be the new i7 cores, probably won't really affect you much. Won't be a major overhaul don't worry. Remember you can never truly keep up with technology, its being outdated every month.

7. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

That is very true Im just afraid it maybe that huge overhaul in design a lot of people are talking about. It always possible to resell it right? How much would i lose around $200?

8. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Depends on your negotiating skills. Also please don't tell me you were listening to the guys talking about a liquid metal case -_-' application of using liquid metal unibodies is still not practical at this point in time. Right now the cost of liquidmetal is too high to be a practical solution.

9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Apple aren't going to redesign the Macbook Pro this year, there simply isn't any internal upgrade that will substitute a hardware redesign, best we are going to get this year are some of the new Quad core i7s. Even compared to the 2.3Ghz Quad Core these new processors aren't that much better.
    There's just nothing really for them to upgrade till next year (Subjectively)

10. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Mmmmm No comment :D It seems like they might change the design though I mean it logical if you think about it they have had the same design for to long but i still like it a lot. So stick with macbook pro would be your recommendation?

11. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Yeah you'll enjoy it, and you can always upgrade the RAM if need be not sure if you can upgrade the HD though.

12. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Alright thanks allot :D Ill be ordering the ram today with the money i was gonna use to get the air :) . Yea I was wondering about the Hd because some people say it voids the warranty others say it doesn't so not to sure either