Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imoss92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
I'm looking into getting either a MacBook Pro 13" or 15" in a few months for use as my main computer. I will be using a lot of architecture programs like Revit and AutoCAD (I really wish these ran natively on OS X) and need to know if the 13" screen is plenty big or if I should get the 15" screen. Portability isn't a huge issue so I'm not concerned with weight. Also, what processor speed should I get so that I can run these programs smoothly? Thanks :D

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
I'm looking into getting either a MacBook Pro 13" or 15" in a few months for use as my main computer. I will be using a lot of architecture programs like Revit and AutoCAD (I really wish these ran natively on OS X) and need to know if the 13" screen is plenty big or if I should get the 15" screen. Portability isn't a huge issue so I'm not concerned with weight. Also, what processor speed should I get so that I can run these programs smoothly? Thanks :D

My dad uses AutoCAD and he needs a large screen for it. So I suggest the 2.66GHz 15in Macbook Pro.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Just a matter of what you want. Having a bigger screen is nice but 13" screen also does the job.

I have ACAD 2010 installed on my 2.4GHz MB and it runs very smooth. Of course it all depends on what kind of drawings you are doing.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
There are plenty of Apple stores in your area. Only you can tell whether the 13" is enough. You are going to get the generic responses like from Hellhammer or Miles (I can't remember which one) will tell you that it's "way too heavy to carry around," but, you are really the only one who can tell...

imoss92

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Yeah I think in the long run the 15" would be better for looking at cad drawings and stuff. I was looking at the 17" but I think thats a bit overkill. So the 2.66GHz with 4gigs of ram will definately run everything smoothly with bootcamp or vmware/parallels?

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
Yeah I think in the long run the 15" would be better for looking at cad drawings and stuff. I was looking at the 17" but I think thats a bit overkill. So the 2.66GHz with 4gigs of ram will definately run everything smoothly with bootcamp or vmware/parallels?

Yes it will run smoothly.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
You are going to get the generic responses like from Hellhammer or Miles (I can't remember which one) will tell you that it's "way too heavy to carry around," but, you are really the only one who can tell...

Huh??? :p

If you're serious about CAD programs, then no laptop screen is going to cut it anyways. I work in an engineering department, all of the engineers that do significant amounts of CAD drawings have 15" laptops which they immediately plug into big 24" LCDs. All of the new Macs will be able to handle CAD programs just fine, but screen size is going to be a big factor for you (I think).

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
for revit 2010 3d rendering i think you need more than 2.66Ghz. think you need the best you can afford

Not necessarily.

Running with a 2.4 GHz is fine, so 2.66 GHz is decent. Obviously a 2.88 GHz or 3.06 GHz processor would be much better, but the cost is also an issue.

What matters more is the RAM that you have for the MBP. Generally, you'll need a bare minimum of 3 GB RAM, but 8 GB of RAM will give u the optimal rendering speeds you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.