MBP 13" or MBP 15" How much is the difference ??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by igmolinav, Sep 10, 2010.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I will be starting to shoot video with a dSLR, and I may buy a new laptop.

The 13" and 15" MBP models that I have looked into have more ore less "the same characteristics":

A 2.4 GHz Processor - For the 13" it is an Intel Core 2 Duo, and for the 15"
    it is an Intel Core i5

The 13" has a NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics video card, the 15" has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB video card.

They have the same RAM memory, etc.

If you are shooting small segments of a documentary with a dSLR and then editing it a bit, (and doing other things with Final Cut Pro, that is the software I have been recommended), what computer is, let's say, enough for this purpose, or which would be the strong points or shortcomings of going in any of the two directions (13" or 15") ?? (When would I really need one for the other ??)

Thank you very much, kind regards,

igmolinav.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Both MBP models will work fine, regardless of the CPU or GPU, though the i5 might be a bit faster for those transcoding processes you have to do in order to get the D-SLR footage into FCP to properly edit them, as FCP does bot really like the H264 codec for its purposes, thus transcoding is required.

Also think of getting an external FW800 HDD to use as media drive, as having the footage on the internal HDD is not recommended for editing purposes.

3. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your answer : ) !!!

Do you mean, it is just a matter of minutes the difference, or it can really delay. Because looking at the Mac Book, it has the same specs as the 13" MBP.
    I am not sure if the Mac Book has a fire wire port.

I have a USB 750GB external drive, but you recommend it to have a Fire Wire 800 connection, is it really needed ??

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

I forgot to say that a friend of mine is selling me the following Mac Book that needs to be taken for repair with these characteristics:

Color White
    Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    L2 cache 4MB shared
    System bus 800MHz
    Memory 1GB (two 512MB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300); supports up to 4GB
    Hard drive1 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
    Slot-loading
    optical drive Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    Graphics Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory3
    Video Built-in iSight camera; mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video (requires adapters, sold separately)
    Display 13.3-inch (diagonal) glossy TFT widescreen display, 1280 by 800 resolution
    FireWire One FireWire 400 port (8 watts)
    USB Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
    Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
    Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
    Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification)4; built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
    Hardware accessories Apple Remote, 60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery

Is the video card and the machine in general too slow ??

5. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

6. smokescreen76 macrumors member

The difference between the 13" and the 15" macbook pro is about 2".

7. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

I just wish : ) !!! I am short on cash at this time, but hopefully in a couple of years.

spinnerlys and other members have been very kind and looked into other posts of mine. I really appreciate his (and their) advice. I'll have to stretch the dough. Even though I've had the ibook G4 for six years already, it was not in the plans to buy a new computer. I had thought on next year. but is thogh to put off for a year my interest to start doing video stuff.

The (broken) Mac Book (below) with the specs is mentioned may be "a salvation vehicle" if you think that it can help. It is already two years old, needs repair, and is selling for $325 USD. I only mentioned because I have to look at all my options and I mention it because you are more experienced and you know what works and what does not.

Yes, those two inches really make a difference. The 15" looks really cool!

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What is broken with the MacBook you can get for 325 USD?

I have almost the same model, just with 2.4GHz, SuperDrive and 4GB RAM. The 400 MHz more or the SuperDrive are not important, but the 4GB are, thus I recommend to at least get 2GB, if not more.

The GPU is also a bit lame, but I could edit video and some photographs (RAW, 12MP) with okay speeds.

The other downside is the small screen resolution, as 1280 x 800 can feel really cramped when editing HD video. HD has a resolution of 1920 x 1080 at the most, thus an external monitor is recommended from my side. As editing applications, proper ones like Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere, have many windows and palettes, the more resolution you have, the easier to work with.

Maybe have a look at the refurbished section of the Apple Online Store and see if you can get a good deal there.

9. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

He says it is something inside the computer that doesn't allow it to receive electricity into the computer. To be honest I find it on the expensive side because in my opinion the value of a computer (for *work) is meant to last three good years, (as a maximum). Then, the computer becomes tired. (Would you agree??). And the computer is already two yrs. old. The remaining value, (if any for the remaining year), is a max. of 333 USD. He is already asking $325 USD and the computer doesn't work !!!

Yes, the screen. I'll take a look at the refurbished section. Thank you : ) !!!

10. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Avoid Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor

Avoid older Mac's having the Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor for your FCP editing. Reason is although it can do the job, unless low funds is currently affecting you, then it'll just be too slow for processing and you'll loathe the experience.

As previously advised check the pre-owned section, then refurbished by Apple to get the 13/15". If you can find a mint condition Aluminum Mac Book (circa late 2008/2009) then you essentially have a 2010 MBP 13" without FW800 & SDCard slot: should you find the 2.4Ghz C2D model. Max ram goes to 4GB which is sufficient and if you can get AppleCare on it then that is the HUGE bonus!

11. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Erm... So how's it work then?

As has been said, you can get by editing DSLR video with this MacBook, but under heavy use the small screen and lengthy transcoding is going to get tiresome.

GPU is used intensively in Color and Motion, but only by a few filters in FCP. That's as things stand — could be a different story come the next FCS release.

12. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your posts : ) !!!

I am looking at it right now : ) !!!

No, it doesn't work, the repair may not be cheap.

Is Fire Wire 800 really needed ??

Does the Mac Book have a Fire Wire outlet, or only the Mac Book Pro ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

13. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

that is an intel integrated graphics card. much much slower than the ones in the current 13". as far as transcoding, it is all about how much your time is worth.

14. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The only characteristic you need worry about is needs to be taken for repair. Let him take it for repair and then see if it's worth your time and money.

Personally, I'd never buy a second hand laptop. They should give years of good service, but a laptop may be mistreated by their owners, much more so than a desktop.

What else:
    • small, slow hard drive (5400 rpm won't let you load up too many video streams)
    • 1 GB RAM - I have 4 GB in the iMac
    • no DVD burner
    • FW400 not FW800. Makes a difference if you are using an external drive for media storage

While this system might possibly "do the job", I think you'll run into its limitations pretty quickly. Final Cut Studio won't install on a machine with integrated graphics. I'm not even sure if FCE will.

15. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Is the trancoding process, a process you can start and then go
    away for some time, (say half hour, an hour, etc.), and do
    something else. Or is it a process in which one has to sit in front
    of the screen and wait for it to be done ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

16. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Transcoding goes by itself. But it takes time. On a 2.8 8 core mac pro, getting footage shot with a canon 5d takes about 2.5-3 times as long as real time. You transcode into prores, an apple format, and it runs to 66gb an hour so you definitly want an external FireWire hard drive

17. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

So, let's say you recorded 20 minutes of video, and transcoding
    it, you mean, with the Mac Pro you mentioned is going to take
    fifty to sixty minutes ?? wow, if it is so, then it is a bit long,
    and the Mac Pros are way faster than the MBP, aren't they ??

Why has it been suggested, to have an external hard drive with
    Fire Wire 800 ?? How does it help to the process ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav.

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac Pros are faster than MacBook Pros. When we used XDCam HD footage (MPEG-2) and imported it into Avid MC, the import process took up to 30 minutes per disk, after that the footage had to be transcoded again, and it took another 30 minutes per disk. I don't know the exact numbers, but I think 1 hour of footage took one hour to ingest into the system, though that were older Xeons from 2008 or so. If the application you transcode with is multi-core aware and can be spread across them, it should go faster.

USB delivers up to 35MB/s for transfer speeds, FW800 can go up to 75MB/s, which allows faster copying processes of 100s of GBs (which you will have soon with HD footage in an editing compatible format (NOT h264 or MPEG-2 or some similar codec)) or/and several streams of HD video in a timeline. Also FW has its own chip on the logic board, USB does need the CPU, thus USB is more CPU intensive and data has to go through the CPU, while FW can bypass that.

19. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your answer : ) !!!

Very kind regards,

igmolinav.