MBP 13 or try use what I have...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SmoothJ, Dec 12, 2010.

1. SmoothJ macrumors member

I am thinking about getting a MBP 13, however I am trying to convince myself that one isn't needed since my job just provided me a nice MBP 17. Granted I could just use this one, but this is so locked down, and etc that I really do that much on it.

The screwed up part of it is that I just sold my 2007 MBP 17. So if I decide to get one, it will still be a 2.4-2.6 Ghz C2D, just like my other MBP.

What does everyone think? Should I just wait till next year when hopefully SB comes to the mac?

2. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I'm the same right now. I have a perfectly good 2010 15" but it recently dawned on me that I would LOVE a 13" mbp or 11" MBA and the idea has stuck in my head to the point where I dont appreciate my 15" anymore.

Anyways I'm working towards a life of greater appreciation so I am not gonna let myself do it...At least not until the next MBA update : p

3. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

I would be perfectly fine if I wasn't locked down this much. Granted there are ways around the lock downs, but by doing that would be "wrong"...

That is why I was thinking of getting my own 13 MBP, however it just feels redundant.

4. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

What about the 11" Air? Is that suitable/different enough from the MBP for you?

5. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

6. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

only $999 for a base 13" at microcenter.. get it while its hot and sexy (dont forget cheapp!!!) --and its going to be hot for a while, probably until MBP 2011 comes out)

7. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

No he means locked down as in "can't make a decision."

I would save your money and use your work laptop until Sandy Bridge. Use an external HDD for any fun stuff likes movies and music you download.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Locked down as in his Job has their paws all over it?

9. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

Yes, and it is locked down in regards to installing, surfing, etc.

10. InfinitySquared macrumors member

What about installing a second copy of OSX on a different partition? That way you could do whatever you wanted without screwing up work stuff.

It does seem somewhat ludicrous to buy a new laptop when you've got a perfectly good one in front of you. Though a 17" IS rather large...

11. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

I can't boot off CD to even do that cause of a firmware password... :/

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Personally, I've never thought it a good idea to mix personal stuff up on a work laptop. I've seen too many people get RIF'd with zero notice and have no access to their system to either make a copy of their personal stuff -- and definitely no time to wipe their personal info from the laptop.

I'm just sayin', better to keep those things separated.

13. InfinitySquared, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010

InfinitySquared macrumors member

What about externally mounting the hdd on another computer to make the partition and clone a clean install of OSX?

That being said: it's not entirely bad advice to keep work and personal things separate.

Also, there are a few methods to bypass the firmware password, if you really want to. Just take out the RAM, boot, hold cmd + p + r, wait for three chimes, turn off, put the ram back in.

And tada! You've just reset the PRAM.

14. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Boot off an express card SSD, or a FW800 HD.

Problem solved.

15. miata macrumors 6502

Or backup all your personal stuff like I do.

16. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

just get like a 11" MBA. or maybe run some sort of vmware on the mbp and then u can install/surf/do whatever you want on that partition?

17. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

Our company has a AUP for the laptops they provide and this is one of the things outlined in "Things not to do". I would love to, however I don't want to temp fate and get caught without it.

I really like the MBA however there are two things that bother me about it. For one, it uses a flash for the HD, which is great, but its a proprietary tech based on a mSATA connector. So upgrading the HD will be a pain and won't be cheap.

Also, the RAM is not replaceable and not upgradable. So if some memory addresses go bad or if I want to upgrade my memory, then I am SOL especially if I am out of warranty.

To be honest though, I really like the VM idea. I have the memory and the processing power, so I might as well put it to some good use. Too bad I can't install Mac OS on it (legally).

So pretty much I am stuck with VM or get another laptop since the FW password is very limiting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352