MBP 13 performance.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rossy100, Oct 27, 2016.

1. rossy100 macrumors 6502

Hi

Am definitely in market for a new computer...... and am debating whether to upgrade my existing 27 inch iMac or go for a MBP with monitor setup.

My use is mainly home/office - so office apps, Photos (have a very large library), iTunes etc.

If I go the MBP route, will the 13 inch be powerful enough for all of the above (would use some external storage for photos)....... or should I go for the 15 inch with dedicated graphics and quad core.

I currently have a 27inch late 2012 iMac which runs off an 2.9Ghz Quad core i5. I obviously wouldn't want to experience any loss of performance..... but assume new MBP13 dual core processor would still be better than what I have now??

Thanks

2. leman macrumors 604

The new dual core processor will not be as good as what you have now in intensive work, where the software can take good use of the quad core CPU and its extended caches etc., however, the 13" will most certainly be faster for burst tasks as you usually have them in home use. I am sure that you will experience the 13" as a much snappier machine, even though it will be slower on paper.

3. rossy100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Excuse my ignorance...... but does the fact that I will be driving a 4K monitor from the MacBook have any impact on performance? Or is that purely in relation to the apps being run. I don't do any gaming, and only occasional video editing so not sure I need the dedicated graphics.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yes it has a large impact and the 13 inch will do it and the new graphics to be announced today should help but it will impact performance of course.

5. leman macrumors 604

I don't think the performance impact will be noticeable in office operation. But you might experience lag etc. when using mission control or other operations that require large areas of the screen to be refreshed. Usually, the system only redraws the areas that change (so e.g. when you are writing a document, only the area around the cursor needs to be updated), which allows it to be very efficient. Contrast this with games, which usually redraw the entire picture on every frame.

Note that I never actually hooked a 13" to a 4K display, so I am just guessing. I did try it with my 15" and didn't see any difference really.

6. spesifikbrush macrumors regular

spesifikbrush

Hello. I've been using rMBP for 9 days, and it is really powerful. I don't think you will experience any issues with your workflow, if it only consists of the apps you listed. Today, there will be announcement of new Macbook Pro's, they will be even more powerful to handle your tasks.

7. jerryk macrumors 68030

It does have an impact on my 2015 15" rMBP. There is not any slowdown, or at least I don't notice it, but the fans run more often. This is likely the dGPU starting up and generating more heat.