mbp 13 questions/should i get apple care plan?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by casper1271, Jun 14, 2009.

1. casper1271 macrumors newbie

So i've been wanting to get a macbook for a really long time and with the current education discount and a free ipod touch i think i'm finally going to upgrade but i had a few quick questions.

1. I'm a student and i'm mainly be using the mbp for writing papers/internet but i might play a few games (perhaps i'd pick up red alert 3, sims 3, or when they come out starcraft 2/diablo 3 if the requirements aren't up there) on it from time to time, is it worth the money to step up to the 2.53 processor. The increased amount of ram seems nice with the 2.5 and i don't really care about HD size, i have an external.

2. Is it worthwhile to buy the apple extended care warranty? I'm on the fence and was hoping for some feedback from macbook owners.

3. Is iWork 09 the mac equivalent of microsoft office? If so is the transition from office to iWork fairly simple? I'd much rather buy iWork than office if it's similar and easy to pick up.

4. Do the unibody macs wear well? Should i buy one of those neoprene sleeves to protect the case if i'm carrying it in a backpack? Speaking of backpacks any feed back on the incase nylon fullsize backpack sku CL55082. Does it fit comfortably on a 5'11 average sized male? I really like the look of it but there aren't any stores that i can find around me in CT that carry it.

Thanks in advance for your responses

2. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

1.) 2.26GHz should be fast enough. But then again, the MacBook Pro's are not meant to be used for gaming... but can handle it if need be. 2GB RAM is more than enough for today's computing.

2.) You have a timeframe of 1 year from the date of purchase of your Apple product to purchase an Apple Care. I recommend taking that time to think about it. Personally, I take care of my electronics well and am very strict about them. Though I let my friends use them, because I can't say no to them, I'm very paranoid when they do use it though hehe. :) So depending on your usage, it may be worth it getting Apple Care.

3.) OpenOffice does the same thing and its free. If you want something better, then get Apple's iWork. Its cheaper than Microsoft's Office.

4.) Should that even be a question? Kidding. Its worth the investment to get the neoprene sleeve for your MacBook Pro. I use mine all the time. I also have a North Face Backpack that I put it in along with the neoprene incase sleeve whenever I take my MacBook to class.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

1. You don't necessarily need to upgrade, but If you are going to be gaming a lot, then upgrade for better performance. You should be able to downgrade your HD option in the online store or over the phone if you can't do it in-store. Extra ram is always nice.

2. Yes, you should get Apple Care, especially going to college just to be safe. You never know what will happen in a college dorm room. Better to pay $350 now and never use it then needing to buy a new computer.

3. iWork has a few more features than MSO. I have to use MSO so i do not have alot of insight into iWork but it is easy to make a transition. Plus, it integrates better with your media via the inspector. DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR SCHOOL'S COMPUTER STORE FOR DISCOUNTED SOFTWARE.

4. Yes, they wear well, but it needs protection in college. It depends on you in terms of case vs sleeve. I have a case and it is easier to take around especially if you plan to carry it in a backpack (sleeve takes up more space in your backpack). In my opinion. Others will argue that a sleeve is better because they offers more protection.