MBP 13 Retina love

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Donka, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Donka, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I have seen a lot of people complaining about the 13" retina on here but just wanted to redress the balance a little.
    One caveat before I start though, I picked up a brand new 256Gb model at a big saving - otherwise I would find it very hard to justify the retail price.
    Now, I switched from a late 2011 cMBP with 8GB ram and 240GB SSD which I was very happy with but in some instances, wished it had a higher resolution screen. The retina 13" seemed like the ideal laptop for me and so I managed to sort out a good deal for my upgrade.
    The retina is noticeably smaller but the keyboard & track pad remain identical so usability remains the same. Performance is great, this thing flies through tasks and while not a big step up from my previous model, I have noticed improved video encoding times using Handbrake for example. If this was the kind of thing I did day in, day out then I would have gone for a quad core 15" model but otherwise the 13" is certainly fast enough.
    Heat dissipation - I'm thinking the retina runs as hot under load as the cMBP, possibly even very slightly hotter but this is hard to discern given there is less surface area. One thing which very much improved though is the fan design, the older model under load could get quite noisy. Even under load, I can barely hear the retina model making a noise - it took around 20 mins of a Handbrake encode and putting my ear next to the bottom of the screen before I could hear any fan noise. This was both very unexpected and very welcome!
    Image retention - to date I haven't encountered any but then I haven't been looking for it either - just using the laptop for normal use. Some simple things that would have triggered IR in older screens that I have seen have so far not shown anything up in this model.
    UI lag - something I was aware of and a little concerned about even though I knew it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I have to say, I see it the first time the dock animates into place or when I first call up mission control but it really is minimal and any subsequent actions are buttery smooth. This is nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.
    Finally the screen. I'm a big fan of the retina displays but I primarily use my iPad for the likes of reading and browsing so could easily get by without it. There are occasions in the past though that I could have used a little more UI space - be it certain websites or working with an image in Photoshop. The ability to scale the UI to a higher resolution is fantastic and really makes this finally the laptop I have been wanting. I still stick with the best for retina (1280x800) resolution for most tasks but having the flexibility to jump into a higher resolution for image editing or iMovie is just plain superb!
    If I just used the MBP as a hub for things like downloading, iTunes etc. and didn't do much in the way of reading or photo editing then the cMBP would have sufficed but the ability to scale the UI really makes this form factor a much more usable proposition for the likes of technical apps.

2. TZeruk macrumors newbie

I traded my 15" rMBP for the 13" ... the form factor and screen resolution is just the perfect combination. Of course there are some things I'd like it to have that it doesn't (discrete GPU, quad core) but it's way more than enough for a hobbyist like myself who needs the occasional Adobe or Apple professional tool.

3. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Haters gonna hate... and that's how it will always be.
    People complaining about it were never in "need" of one and can't appreciate it.

4. cheezeit macrumors 6502

13" seems awesome if you don't need the discrete gpu, which i do :(

5. M Powered macrumors regular

I personally love the 13" and if I had extra cash I would pick one up to go along with my 15". I mainly like the 15" due to the quad core i7. I don't care for the extra size of the screen, discrete graphics nor the additional harddrive space.

People who hate are comparing the new rmbp 13" to the old one, which sold for 1199. It was disappointing that apple didn't at least put the i7 2.9ghz in the new 13" rmbp through.

6. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I just picked up a 13" MBA and 13" MBP Base, but if they were available in the refurb store I would have grabbed a 13" Retina. I can spend the money, just for me, feels like anything over $1500 for a 13" just is not worth it, also I need the 8/512GB Model so that is over $2,000 for a 13" and I personally just can not justify it for what I do.

I have used the 13" and 15" Retina in the Apple store and hands down you can not compare anything out there to it, screen is perfect and smooth, and the smaller form factor is just way cool.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

That's the wrong comparison, though. The better one is to the i7 Air, which has similar overall performance. My biggest beef is that Apple still charges more than $2/GB for flash storage when SSDs are now selling for about $0.75/GB. Maybe we'll see that address in 2013, but I doubt it. The market seems to be tolerating it for now (it's the same with the cost of flash on the iPad and iPhone).

I just replaced a MacBook Air with a 13" rMBP and like it a lot. The extra weight takes some getting used to, but it will probably be that way until the display technology is refined (or someone makes a breakthrough in battery technology).

8. dtexan macrumors newbie

Coming from the corporate PC world and Dell I can say I absolutely love my 13" rMBP. I have the 256GB SSD with 8GB ram and the 2.9Ghz i7. I have yet to do anything that even remotely challenges this machine. I'm sold :D