MBP 13" screen size too small for video/image editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xylian, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Xylian macrumors member

Hi, do you think that the screen resolution of the MBP 13" is too small to do video/image editing with tools like the iLife suite, Final Cut Express, Photoshop..? And for using developers' tools like XCode?
    I would use it in my freetime and not for work.. It would be my first MBP and I'm using a 15" laptop with 1680x1050 resolution, so I would loose a lot of pixels, but I don't want to spend so much on a 15"/17" MBP since I do not think they've yet entered the next level Steve Jobs was talking about.. So I would buy a 13" just because I'd really like to jump in the Mac world :apple:, and maybe I'll sell it next year when (I hope) there will be much more innovation (maybe new design, quad-core cpus, USB3 or LightPeak, ecc) to justify the big amount of money that is necessary to buy an high-end 15" MBP that I will use for at least 3-4 years..

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

For coding text the 1280x800 resolution is just fine. For video and photo editing it might be a bit cramped. For quick edits in iMovie I don't mind the resolution, but for some bigger projects you'll notice the limitation. In Photoshop you're spending more time resizing and show/hiding toolbars than doing some actual editing, so that's not ideal.

But instead of buying the 15" you might also consider hooking up an external monitor. Solves all the problems as well. The 13" is smaller and light, and good enough for text and some light video/photo editing. Once you really need to dive in there and need some more screen real estate, use the monitor and work with two screens.

3. ChocoboNL macrumors member

Yep, that's exactly what I am looking in to as well. Consider getting an external monitor, when you do those photoshop/ video things chances are that you're at home anyway. :)

Only thing I'm a little worried about is the GPU in the 13" and the amount of pixels on a full-HD or larger monitor.. Will it keep working? :p

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's a personal preference. Go to the store and decide for yourself.

Not sure how this makes any sense. The 15/17" MBPs got a much more substantial update than the 13" models.

Heh. Good luck getting any of those by next year.

5. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Of course.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I use a 2008 MacBook conected to a 1600x1200 display, works fine. This 2010 model should have no problems, with the right adapter it can run a 30" Apple Cinema Display!

7. ChocoboNL macrumors member

You're right, of course, but if you'd also use it to run a game every now and then, that could proof to be difficult right? Even though I don't really play the most demanding of games (WarCraft III, League of Legends, StarCraft II (soon?)).

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Image editing? Yes.

Video editing? Yes, but its not great.

Programming? Yes, but its not great.

9. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I know... but if I buy the 15", I want it with anti-glare+hires options, and it costs too much for the technology it has (I can afford spending 2200€, which means about 2800$, for the top 15" MBP, but I'd like to spend them when the MBPs have something more powerful and innovative inside)..

I think they must have something like USB 3 next year, and also quad-core CPUs could be more affordable and less power-hungry..

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Get a 13" SSD and an external monitor and you're set, I'd say. That's what I'll be doing anyway :)

11. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I love my 13"

Im considering buying a 17" since they are $1699 for last year's refurb model. Im mostly interested in getting tons of screen real estate when I can't plug in but I love this 13". 17" might be a bit cumbersome

12. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

Hey I am almost sold with the 15in...I was in the same position about the 13mbp I love its size and mobility...performance is pretty good too but I h8 the glossy and LOW resolution...wow :apple: needs to raise there standards and lower there premiums (i can dream cant I).

I was considering getting a 13 MBP with 128/256gb ssd

13. JustinBW macrumors member

I got the new MBP 13 2.66.

I do not do video nor photo editing on it, but I do extensive audio editing on it.

It does get cramped, even when not editing anything and just surfing the web, chatting on iChat and listening to iTunes all at once. To maximize my visual real estate I use the "spaces" feature often. If you are new to Macs you might not know what this is, a simple google search will show you.

For me the compact size of the computer was a major advantage and even though it does cramped a bit, I have learned to deal with it and it is a trade off I was willing to take.

Good luck with you purchase.

14. Mirabella macrumors regular

For me, the 13 inch MacBook Pro screens are too cramped for comfortably editing pictures in Photoshop. However, that's just my personal preference, not an intrinsic rule.

15. matttung macrumors member

16. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Think I'll choose the 13" 2.66GHz 128GB SSD 4GB RAM :)

17. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

The reason why I am getting the 15in is so I can photo and video edit also I can always put an SSD in the future and take the performance to a higher level...also buy the time I will want to upgrade (2-4 yrs) SSD prices will become more reasonable, affordable, compatible (firmware becoming better developed), and also higher quality due to the test of time and R&D..therefore I am aiming for the 15 but would have loved a higher res. anti glare 13 (would have definitely jumped on one).

Either way I hope the 15 in mobile enough for me. Would h8 buyers remorse lol

18. Madp macrumors newbie

I just want to mention that "some editors" think that a "17 Macbook pro is unacceptable to edit on. In fact, they "require" 2 monitors minimum.

Then again, maybe I remember the days of linear editing and am satisfied with what we have now.

19. Macbook Newbie macrumors newbie

I recently bought a new macbook pro 13" 2.4ghz. I just finished working on an imovie slideshow that contained pictures and video. I think it works well and had no problems. In iphoto, during a few photo edits, I had to wait 3-4 seconds after hitting "done" before the changes were complete. 3-4 seconds on a few photos isn't that big a deal when most are instant. In imovie I'm able to scroll across the clips with ease as well as drag and dropping clips without delay. I switched down from 15" Inspiron and have no regrets.

20. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to you all for your opinions... I think I will have some problems to get used with the small resolution, but maybe I will connect it to my HD TV (does it work well in 1080i with a MiniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter? Can you read text or should I use 720p, which is similar to the 13" MBP resolution?) and solve this problem.... so I could buy the 13" and sell it next year, for a real 15"/17" next-level-MBP....

BTW, an OT question: does the new 13" MBP run Windows 7 well? Are all the drivers included in the bootcamp software included with the MBP? I'm thinking about the Nvidia 320M which is a particular integrated chipset made only for Apple, which could have some drivers' problems.... can you give me some info about this OT?

21. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

I dont remember but which disk but in boot camp you insert the disk and it loads all the drivers for the 320m/330m/other parts so you'll be good to go. BTW I heard getting the apple care protects your investment and will help you sell it for more with the plan

22. Xylian thread starter macrumors member

Can someone test the 1080i resolution (with any of the MBPs) and tell me if text is readable? Thanks :)

23. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just upgraded from a 13" macbook to 15" i5 macbook pro, and I do a lot of video editing, and IMHO the difference is huge, more space to work and great performance. Also this 15" is really portable, not much weight difference with the 13".