Mbp 13" ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DN667, Sep 15, 2011.

1. DN667 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a 13" MBP (early 2010 model) and I want to speed things up a bit by putting in a SSD drive.

As I use lots of virtual machines, the standaard 4500rpm drive is really crappy.

So I'm looking for a SSD that works well with the MBP (including the hibernation mode!), offers good speed, reasonable storage (120Gb is an absolute minimum, more would be better) and doesn't come too expensive.

I know it's a lot to ask but I figure I'm not the only person on the planet looking for such a drive.

Any tips or experiences here?

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Go with the Samsung 470 128 gb ... it seems to be absolutely rock solid with reliability and no issues for anyone.

That's the drive I stuck in my mid August 2011 mbp 13. Startup times are 13 secs and once running the system is incredibly responsive aka "snappy".

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You do already have 8 gigs of RAM in your machine right? Because if you're trying to run virtual machines with 4 gigs... and you want a SSD instead of RAM, that'd be like putting a ferrari engine in a standard car, without putting a better transmission, brakes, and tires on it as well.

Just to use the crappy car analogy.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm loving my OCZ Vertex 3 in my 7,1 (mid 2010 13"). ZERO issues(meaning no issues, not minor ones, or just sometimes. NONE); compared to my old 5400rpm HDD it's not comparable, like you can't truly understand it until you see/use one. It's FAST, and that's an understatement. Got my 120GB for $190 shipped from new egg.

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That is not true. If you run only one VM or small ones such as Linux without GUI it will work well enough with 4GB. I give 1 GB to Win 7 and still have enough inactive RAM. Only if you run many VMs in parallel and or do some heavy lifting in one VM where a 1GB win7 won't do, you will need 8 GB.
    For Testing stuff in Windows or using some Windows only Apps 4GB works well enough.

The SSD however speeds up VM launch incredibly, which means you only have to launch it when you need to and not have it waste memory, battery and produce more heat all the time.

6. DN667 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Are you still able to wake your MBP when it's asleep?

A colleague of mine has a 15" MBP 2011 with an aftermarket SSD and his notebook crashes whenever he wants to resume from sleeping...?

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

ZERO issues with wake from sleep/hibernation with my Vertex 3.

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

That's not accurate, I have a late 09' MBP with 4GB and have no problem running Virtualbox with Windows 7 running and doing stuff and at the same time doing stuff in OS/X... no slow down or anything.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I also have 1 virtual machine running Windows 7 and whenever I start that up, I immediately perceive slowdown.

I assumed everybody would understand the subjectivity of the matter; personally I run multiple browsers with at least 15 pages open at all times, iTunes, video, and Word/Excel documents along with a plethora of other programs running in the background.

Because of this, a VM simply cannot run efficiently, for ME, due to the high volume of things I have running in the background at all times.

Now if I just turn the machine on and start a VM, it's all good, but if I'm actually doing stuff, it simply isn't an option.

10. kjp macrumors member

I have the 256GB version. It performs so well that a friend of mine purchased the 128GB version.

It's a fantastic SSD.

11. JDrive macrumors member

No issues here with my 240gb Vertex 3, wake/sleep work flawlessly. I even had occasional blue screens with this drive in Windows 7. Enabled trim with an applescript created for sandforce drives.