MBP 13": stock SSD versus third party SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tsg20, Jul 17, 2010.

1. tsg20 macrumors member

I'm going to get my work to buy me a new MBP 13". Budget isn't too much of an issue, so I'm going to get an SSD. How is the stock SSD that Apple offer? I'm sure it's less good than e.g. an Intel one, but I'm wondering how much of a difference it will make in day-to-day usage; if I want to get a third party SSD and upgrade it myself, I'll need to have a decent justification to give to my work.

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The ones Apple provides would be pretty good. But if you want something different you'll need to install it yourself. Installing drives isn't the hardest thing in the world, but you'll need to buy one that fits! ;)

4. TripleJJJ macrumors member

The problem right now is the non support of the Trim command in mac os, therefore you need a SSD which will not loose much of its performance will time. Check out the articles on anantech.com.

5. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

6. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

7. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I am not sure what brands have garbage collection built in, but that is a substitute for TRIM. I am pretty sure the Intel G2 does not have garbage collection.

8. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Intel G2 is the way to go. :)

EDIT: After checking around, it seems that SSDs with the SandForce-controller is the big thing nowadays.

9. shadygrove macrumors regular

I have the apple ssd in my new i7. It's fast for what it is and real world computing is just as good as any other ssd. But if I were to buy one I would look into the crucial 256gb. But for the ease of use and price I can't complain About the apple ssd. It is just as fast now as hey day I got it so long as I keep the drive about 50% compacity

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...go with the OWC drives, I'm putting my Intel drive into my win7 HTPC and spending the $$ to get an OWC for my whitebook after the first of the new year (hope prices come down a little by then)...

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

OWC for sure. Check the barefeats.com benchmarks - you'll see the Apple SSDs (Samsung) are a bit lacking in performance compared to the rest.

12. ssn637 macrumors 6502

I've got a Crucial 256 GB SSD and am happy with it...but if you can get your company to issue the stock 500 GB Toshiba SSD then I'd recommend going for that one. The more hard drive space the better if money is no option.

13. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Mmm.. drooling at the idea of having a 500gb SSD. I have a 120gb OCZ Vertex in my 13" at the moment.

14. elleana macrumors regular

Whats the OEM on the OWC ones? I 'borrowed' the Intel G2 out of my regular desktop PC to put in my new MBP, am now shopping about to see if I should get a permanent SSD solution for it.

15. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

The Intel's seem to have the biggest performance.

Highest Read/Write & sustained Write speeds. incredible lower power consumption - support for TRIM which OS X does NOT have :( :( and with 128MB of cached (most perpendicular platter hdd has 8/16/32MB cache) before the actual NAND memory along with SandForce-controller makes them rock.

SandForce-controller will be updated soon for cheaper pricing making SSD's come down slightly in pricing as well.