MBP 13" TB 2018 - How are these specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KhunJay, Oct 27, 2018.

1. KhunJay macrumors 6502

KhunJay

512GB / 16gb ram / i7 2.7 ghz quad core / silver

Coming from a 2012 macbook air and need to get something that will hold up well for at least 6-8 years.

Most intensive uses are internet and word processing, occasional mucking around w/Photoshop. Thats it.

I know these specs are huge overkill but then again, not everyone who buys a ferrari drives it at top speed every minute of the day.

Any advice/comments?

2. Sterkenburg macrumors 6502

Yes, they're overkill but you knew that already, so what kind of advice are you looking for then? :)

It's a great machine, and you chose a very well-balanced configuration. It will serve you well for a very long time. Realistically, for that kind of usage a high-spec laptop is likely to fail way before hardware power becomes an issue. So if you can afford it, why not?

3. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Based on your usage, wait till Tuesday. A new MacBook Air might suit you better.

4. javisan macrumors regular

If I were you I would stay with the i5 instead of upgrading to the i7. You would save some money there and based on your usage you will absolutely not notice any difference in performance.

5. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

You're aware of the keyboard problems with the newer macbook pros?

6. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors regular

Setting aside your usage requirements, I can tell you the spec you've cited, (13"/512GB / 16gb ram / i7 2.7 ghz quad core / silver), is the exact machine I've had in my hands, and used.

Of course opinions vary but to me, bar none - that is the nicest mbp I've ever laid my hands on. It's a fabulous computer, and a pretty powerful one at that. (do note that I've an affinity for the 13" form factor which does play into my viewpoint, ymmv)

7. KhunJay thread starter macrumors 6502

KhunJay

Thanks for all the opinions and advice ... I will wait and see what is revealed on 30 Oct.

I was under the impression that the keyboard had been reinforced against dust etc and the warranty on it bumped to 4 years, so that is some reassurance.

Since a purchase like this comes around every 6-7 years, I don't mind the premium in this case. Helps to have a good machine in case one needs to sell....plus it's a business expense so a good way to lower one's tax bill.

I have to ask though.....Im currently on a 256GB air and I have 130gb available. Clearly 512 is more than I need...but I have read that 512 SSDs are faster than 256gb ssds...any truth to this?

8. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

Just take care to keep the keyboard area as clean as possible to save yourself from potential headaches.

9. fokmik macrumors 68040

yes, if you are set on 13" display, then you should wait until Tuesday, maybe they will release a 13" Macbook, with better battery usage than 13" Macbook pro....if they put the same battery as the current 13" mbp into a laptop with i5/i7 dual core cpu, than you are looking at 12-13 hours light usage, and maybe a price 200-300$ cheaper

10. FlushedNotRushed macrumors member

The keyboard problems seems to be very limited versus the 2017 version. But that's no excuse to why it still exists, but I think most people with the 2018 aren't dealing with a KB issue. The ones who are post it here on this forum.

11. fokmik macrumors 68040

the worse keyboard is the 2016 model...after that is the 2017 and 2018 seems the most reliable

12. maxgts macrumors regular

maxgts

2017 design is about the same as 2016, along with the same problems. The 2018 has a membrane which helps, but people still have problems. All you have to do is search reddit for "2018 macbook pro keyboard problem".

13. upandown, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018

upandown macrumors 6502a

I have the i7 with 16gb and I must say it’s just lovely. Everyone loves to say the i5 is just as fast but have they used them side by side? Nope. If you can afford it you won’t be sorry.

Albeit they are synthetic, but the benchmarks show the i7 is substantially faster than the i5. In multi and single. I also get great battery life.

5500/19100

14. CMoore515 macrumors regular

I have the base 13" TB MBP with 512GB, it suits my needs perfectly.

Coming from the 2014 15" MBP with upgraded everything, and I honestly don't notice any difference in my workflow.

YMMV.

15. fokmik macrumors 68040

16. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I can afford the i7, but I was thinking to get the base i5 since I'm using the machine specifically for travel. Your post changed my mind. Thanks!

17. KhunJay thread starter macrumors 6502

KhunJay

So I saw the new macbook air....tempted as that is the machine that suits the kind of usage that I intend to undertake.
    It looks rather nice in gold.

I'd be more interested if I could upgrade the new MBA to i7/ 16gb and 512GB. Guess they have saved the i7 for next years bump.

But as things stand, the MBP in the specs I described above seems more future proof.

18. upandown macrumors 6502a

Agreed

19. KhunJay thread starter macrumors 6502

KhunJay

I didnt want to start a new topic so asking here.
    Tomorrow I'll order the MBP 13" TB i7 / 16g ram / 512

Will it come pre-loaded with OS Mojave?

If so, is there any way I can roll back to El Capitan?

I have El C on a bootable thumb drive.

Cheers.

20. KhunJay thread starter macrumors 6502

KhunJay

BOOM! And, done.

Just wasted 5 hours on amazon trying to figure out what accessories I need. What a **** show, every product has reviews ranging from this is excellent to this is rubbish....very confusing.

Was going for one of those 6-in-1 dongles and then realised it defeats the purpose of a mac.....so I pared my selection back to a 2-pack of the following:

1. Syntech USB-C to USB stub
    2. Syntech USB to USB-C stub

And 3. A usb-c SD card reader to transfer photos if i need to.

That's it.

I'm out for the next 8 years, folks!