Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
taxxosuyberzfskalarge.jpeg

The “sealed” battery in Apple’s new 13-inch MacBook Pro is easily replaced with standard screwdrivers, a teardown by iFixit shows.

The MacBook battery is not supposed to be changed by the user. Sealed inside the case, Apple encourages customers to pay Apple $130 to change the battery and dispose of the old one.

However, the battery is easily accessed with a standard Phillips screwdriver, and the battery removed with a tri-wing screwdriver, iFixit found when dissassmbling the device on Tuesday.

In addition, iFixit notes that the single audio jack (see post below) is innapropriate for a “Pro” machine. The jack supports analog and digital audio-out, and analog audio-in, but not digital audio-in.

“If you need digital audio-in, this is not the machine for you.” said iFixit CEO Kyle Wiens in an email.

Wiens also said the MBP’s new SD card slot is “rather unimaginative.”

“Half the card hangs outside the computer,” said Wiens. “Apparently, Apple couldn’t free up enough space for a slot that would make the card completely captive.”

Wiens notes the battery is beefier (360 grams, about 60 grams heavier than the old one), but is rated 60 Watt-hours, compared to the older battery’s 45 W-h. Apple claims the battery will last for 7 hours. The previous MacBook’s battery was rated 5 hours (yeah, right!)

More details and pictures from iFixit after the jump.

* The new battery is not interchangeable at all with the older MacBook Unibody. The connectors, size, and shape are different, preventing easy DIY battery rigging.

* The mid wall dividing the MacBook Pro is now attached to the top case. In the previous model, it was held in by four Phillips screws — just goes to show that Apple is trying to help out its DIY customers.

* Aside from a couple of visual cues found outside, a casual user would not be able to discern if this was a MacBook Unibody or MacBook Pro.

* Most screw layouts and brackets are identical to the old MacBook Unibody.

Credits : CultofMac

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
The title is bit misleading to be honest, you can't buy the batteries anywhere (yet) and by removing the battery yourself you void the warranty. Hardly user upgradeable :p

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
Apparently, they've never heard of firewire audio interfaces, which is what you'd actually be using anyway if you were recording pro audio.

Slogan

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Couldn't help but think an SD card that sticks out of the slot is rather ugly looking.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I don't even want to see the deluge of "NOT "PRO", NO LINE IN". Like anybody who is remotely close to an audio professional would use a laptop line-in for anything other than a last resort.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
i cant believe the sd card sticks out!...i wanted to just leave a sd card in at all times but i guess i cant now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.