MBP 13" topcase replacement for cosmetic reasons?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachwii, Dec 2, 2010.

1. zachwii macrumors newbie

I have had my MBP 13" for a little over a year now, and I am possibly interested in getting the topcase (keyboard, trackpad, unibody) replaced. I think I have been cleaning it with chemicals that are too harsh (rubbing alcohol undiluted) which may have worn the aluminum as it is somewhat rough than other people's MBPs I have touched. Also, I would like to have a new keyboard on it so I can protect it from the get go with a silicone cover.

Basically, it's not for practical reasons (the keys function fine, etc, just more noisy than a newer MBP), and just hypothetical, but how could I go about doing this without voiding my applecare warranty? I recently bought an additional 2 yrs.

Also, there is a slight white glow in the middle of the screen when the screen is black, possibly due to the display being messed up. Would apple replace my display due to this? I know it sounds picky but I paid a lot of money for this computer and want it pristine.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Apple may replace your display under your warranty. But they sure as heck, wont do a free top case replacement. Your best bet is to shop around apple authorized repair shops, and see what the best price they can give you for a top case replacement. I bet their prices will be very similar to apples, but thats the only way your not going to void your warranty.