MBP 13 trackpad won't click

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tallpaul, Nov 2, 2009.

1. tallpaul macrumors member

A friend just got a MBP 13 a month ago and despite running all the updates his trackpad will move the cursor but tapping(which is selected) and clicking don't register anything.

He's using a usb mouse at the moment so the only thing I can think of is that he erased some drivers, should he do a install and recover or just back up files and do a complete re install?

I'd imagine that as the trackpad moves the cursor it's not a hardware problem.

Tall Paul

2. tallpaul thread starter macrumors member

3. lfc200 macrumors member

im having a similar problem my trackpad wont click ive contacted apple and they said bring it to the nearest repair centre and if something needs to be repaired they will just replace the laptop.
    by the way my laptop is 2 mths old

4. rowsdower macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, but I believe there is a physical switch under the trackpad. It could be that the switch is broken and the movement isn't recognized.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Try booting from the Mac OS X instal disc. Don't install Mac OS X, just see if clicking works on menus and what not. If it does work, then its a software issue current OS install, otherwise, its a hardware issue.

6. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Probably won't help, but mine sometimes stops clicking when I tap, so all I do is open trackpad in system preferences, untick it, then tick it again. It starts to work again after that.

Its only happened a few times now, so its not too annoying

pac