MBP 13 Unibody Power Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elaboratedreams, Mar 10, 2012.

1. elaboratedreams macrumors newbie

I work at a computer repair shop and was given a MBP 13 Unibody for free, so I figured why not try to fix it. I pulled it apart and there was oxidation on both sides of the logic board. I cleaned (as best I could) the logic board and all connections with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and purchased a new keyboard as well. The liquid spill must have been soda because the keys were sticky. After cleaning it and replacing the keyboard I have let it all air out for a week and it does the following.

When I turn it on I hear the hard drive spin up and the fan starts, but get no gong. The light on the left of the two lights on the front turns on (sleep light?). Then after about 3 seconds it shuts off on its own and turns right back on. After that it will stay on indefinitely, but I get no gong or video. I have an external video connection too, which also shows nothing.

I have a hot air station and am not afraid to solder, but I honestly don't know where to start. Should I be better off just replacing the Logic board and scrapping this one?

Thanks for your time/help.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

It would be easier to replace the logic board tbh. Soda is prob the worst thing someone could spill on it tbh.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sulfuric acid would be worse.