MBP 13 ...update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dentifrice, Dec 18, 2010.

  1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #1
    Hello all,

    I'm looking for the MBP 13 and I have a simple question.

    I saw on the Buyer's guide that MBP will be updated soon
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro


    So at first I decided to wait for the new release but after digging a little more, I came to the conclusion that only 15 and 17 inches are gonna be updated.

    Am I right ? Is there any news on an updated 13 inches MBP that I missed ?

    Thank you !
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    There are no definite news about the MBP updates, but if the MBPs get updated, the 13" will most likely be included. If you can wait three/four months and don't need the MBP right now, wait.
    An update to the MBP line is expected in Q1/2011, but that is not 100% or 50% sure. It might happen later.
     
  3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #3
    Some might say get a 13" MBP *now* before they screw it up with the next update. :eek:
     
  4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #4
    get it now!! im getting it today.. so excited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:):confused::eek::mad::rolleyes:;):p:cool::D:eek::apple::apple::apple::apple:
     
  5. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    #5
    unless you need it right now....wait...the updates will be worth it
     
  6. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #6
    to be honest....the only thing that makes me uncertain is the screen resolution....
     
  7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #7
  8. JKK photography macrumors regular

    JKK photography

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    #8
    The most detailed unit we have had has said 'first half of 2010.' Six months. That isn't necessarily 'soon.'
     
  9. docal97 macrumors 6502a

    docal97

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Location:
    Southampton
    #9
    It really just depends on how bad you need the laptop. The new MBP's probably wont be out until May or so. But the 13" will probably move away from the C2D processors, which are very fast but are becoming dated by today's standards. Which processor the new 13" will have is anyone's guess, but it should at least have the I5 in the current MBP or the new SB chip that is coming out soon.

    So if you can wait, wait, but if you need it now, get the current MBP, b/c it is an awesome laptop.
     
  10. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #10
    thanks for your answer


    that is the very problem of my life.....do I really NEED it ? No... ! Like 99 % of all technology stuff a I buy....

    but life would be boring if I buy only what I really need :p
     
  11. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    #11
    I would wait. Get better value for your money by getting the new models when they come out.
     
  12. Built macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #12
    If you live near a Microcenter, you would want to check out their deal opf a MBP for 999. The new version...sometime in 20111...MAY have a price bump...nobody knows...but the 999 deal for a MBP NOW cannot be beat. (This is for NEW, NOT REFURB.)
     
  13. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #13
    No sooner than March so up to you..
     
  14. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #14
    @Built I live in Canada...thanks for the tip anyway

    march,may or june....it's not that soon for the impatient guy I am....
    :p
     
  15. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #15
    I'd maybe vote that you try to pick one up at a sale price like this (the 999 at microcenter). When the new one comes out you can sell your 2010 for probably a $200 loss at most, then just buy the new one. You could think of it as renting a laptop for 6 months or so for a couple hundred bucks.

    I bought my 2010 in April, less than a week after the new ones came out, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on the 2011 release, and might sell my 2010 and buy a new one if it's a significant cpu boost with an i5.
     
  16. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    #16
    If he got it for 999 he could turn around and sell it for 1000 and not lose anything. Since they go from apple for 1199.
     
  17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #17
    Quite possible. I was talking worst case, which would still be a good case. :)

    But if profit can be involved, that's all the better.
     
  18. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #18
    ok I'm back from my local apple store

    I tried the MBP 13 and the MBA 13

    I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in the screen of the MBP when you try the MBA.

    The resolution difference is really noticeable.



    MBP +
    cpu
    you can change ram
    you can change HD

    MBP -
    the screen resolution.....
    thick (compare to MBA)...not really a problem



    MBA +
    Screen
    speed (flash memory by default)
    light

    MBA -
    can't change ram
    can't change HD
    cpu less powerful
    no ethernet connection bult-in
    4gb default MBA is a bit pricey....

    (As you can see dvd drive is not really a problem for me)
     
  19. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

    SuperCachetes

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    Away from you
    #19
    Are all the others negatives for you, or are you just bench-racing the two machines based on specs that may not matter? I mean, I have an ethernet jack on my MBP and I have used it approximately 0 times. The slower processor on the MBA is also mitigated by the flash storage, so the positive/negative balance gets skewed around a bit.

    If you like the MBA and it serves your needs, I would max out the 13" (if it's in your budget). If someday the RAM/storage is insufficient for you, you could likely still sell the MBA to someone wanting a netbook. It's ahead of its time enough that it will retain value well, I think.
     

Share This Page