MBP 13" Very Hot After Opening From Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donster28, Jun 23, 2009.

1. donster28 macrumors 65816

Got a little scare when I got home just now. My new MBP 13" was really hot when I took it out of it's case. It didn't immediately start and I had to push the power button to turn it on again.

I Ran iStat and it showed 150 degrees farenheight.

Then it showed a message that OSX had to close unexpectedly so a report can be sent to Apple.

What could have happened? Could it have been triggered on by another gadget on the subway car I was on?

Is my MBP CPU and other internal components damaged in any way? Although I do not see any damage externally, I am worried that it got damaged inside. My LCD seems fine thank goodness.

Could anyone have experienced this? If so, should I worry? :(

Thanks.

2. cababah macrumors 68000

150 degrees F is not that hot so I doubt your internals are damaged. That is weird though.

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

The computer is probably fine. If your case is like in a bag or in a neoprene sleeve, etc. they serve as great insulators, and so if you put a hot computer into them and close up the zipper it just traps the heat in and can cause the temperature to stay pretty warm for a long time. I sometimes pulled out a warm laptop from my neoprene sleeve because after walking home because of this.

If I was doing some processor heavy tasks just before I left I'd just put the computer to sleep and let it cool on a desktop for a few minutes before putting it in the bag. Or, if the fan was running at a higher speed before I was going to sleep it, I would just let it sit idle until the fan had brought the temperature down a little and reduced its speed before putting it away. It cools pretty fast cause of the aluminum casing and then it's fine to put in the bag.

Ruahrc

4. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I read about this in another thread.

Sounds like your MBP did not properly go to sleep when you put it in the bag.

I think some experienced this after updating from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7

Do an MRoogle search.

5. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys. I just thought I'd inquire 'cause it was kinda weird.

At first I was worried that my screen is toast (literally) since it was closed when it got hot. But I think I can stop worrying now.

Thanks again. :)

6. donster28 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think so too..thanks. :)