MBP 13" vs 15" Or Wait...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by H_C, Sep 5, 2015.

1. H_C macrumors newbie

H_C

Here is my issue...
    i am a student who currently uses a 2009 Sony Vaio Pentium.... still going strong (minus the 30 min battery life) basically a desktop now.....
    so i have finally decided to upgrade... my options were either a Xps 13" or a MBP
    i have sucked up to :apple: and decided to go for it....

my options are as follows:
    13ich.png 15ich.png
    this will be my first Mac.... i will be using it for college and eventually uni as well as day to day usage...
    i would like to have Windows running on it as well hence the 16gb ram..i wont be using so much for gaming, just now and then.... and i wont be doing heavy duty rendering/video editing... will be used for films and music. i will need portability (sony weighing 2.4kg) so both weigh less.
    A couple questions:
    1) is the upgrade for i7 in the 13" worth it , if i went with that ?
    2) is the quad core worth the upgrade/extra money?
    3) Or should i just wait a little longer and see what the event shall bring ?

btw both of these are roughly at the max of how much i will spend (education store)

2. H_C thread starter macrumors newbie

H_C

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Its all about what you want. Hard to give you specifics.

1. i7 on the 13" isn't a huge increase
    2. the 15" quad core is a huge upgrade - thus a huge upgrade in price. (Only notice it was heavy lifting tasks).
    3. Probably won't see an upgrade until 2016

4. H_C thread starter macrumors newbie

H_C

Thanks a lot for your help... I guess i gotta just decide between the screen size and if im gonna beed extra power

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Sounds like price is a major area considering you asked a couple time, "is it worth it" - may want to consider refurb units. Same warranty - basically same machine expect the box will be white.

6. ttNB macrumors 6502

ttNB

Well 1st let me say, congrats on considering moving on into the Mac realm.Glad when I made the switch, and I will not be going back. For your 1st Mac, you should get new. They will last you, as long as you maintain proper care and practice "safe" browsing. as for the desicion between 13 or 15, go with the 15. If you plan on keeping it for the long haul, and it seems you want the mid tier or the top tier MacBook pros, so do it right. Go with the 15 inch 2.5/16GB RAM/ with AMD Graphics. If you get the student discount, Apple has free beats headphones, and you can apply for the Barclays card and have 24 months to pay off your purchase. Good Luck!
    P.S. The Retina MacBook Pro, is one beautiful piece of technology! enjoy.

7. H_C thread starter macrumors newbie

H_C

Im nkt sure hiw i feel about refurbished Macs.... Does the apple care cover all and what about warranty?
    But its only a £200 difference between the 13 and 15 so not bad...

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

9. H_C thread starter macrumors newbie

H_C

Thanks for your help

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

This is only a reference to a refurb from Apple directly. Not 3rd party refurbs. Same return period also.

11. H_C thread starter macrumors newbie

H_C

Yh dw i got that.... Wouldnt buy refurb from 3rd party anyways

12. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

If the price is the about the same, no doubt I would go with the 15". Almost twice as much processing power and better graphic performance.

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Agreed! Unless you travel a lot and going to use it frequently on your lap in tight areas.