MBP 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aWSUpanther, Apr 8, 2011.

1. aWSUpanther macrumors newbie

Come Sunday, I will be switching for Windows 7 to a MacBook Pro. I have already ruled out the 17", a regular MacBook, and a MacBook Air because it will need to last me for a few years and I have quite a bit I would like to do on it.

So really, my question is, should I get a "high-end" 13" or a "low-end" 15"?

I will be doing the following things frequently:
    • Internet Browsing
    • Music
    • Video Editing with either Sony Vegas or Final Cut Pro
    • GarageBand/Logic Pro
    • PhotoShop
    • Microsoft Office
    So basically, I was wondering which would suit me more? The perks I see in the 15" is the bigger screen & graphics card while the 13" has a better price. Price isn't TOO big of an issue, but I want to know if the extra $300 is worth it.

Also, are student discounts the same for high school and public university students?

2. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

First off, public university students are college students. Did you mean public high schools? Personally, I like the 15" as it is the happy medium between the 13" and the 17". If price is not an issue, then why consider the 13"?

Ironically, I thought about buying a high end 13" or low end 15", but ultimately, I bought a 15" high end. I wanted the 2.2 or 2.3 processor and the 1 GB GPU. The base 15" does not offer these options. However the base 15" is the best value equipment and price wise, IMHO. Since I do not have experience with the 13" or base 15", I cannot provide much of a comparison. Hope this helps. :)

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

13" more portable and 15" more practical for screen size... I have owned both in 2010 and sold my 13 for the 15" but it is about personal preference. For either model is does help to also own an external monitor.

4. shaun319 macrumors member

personal preference. I love my macbookpro 15. originally bought 13 but returned for 15

5. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

Based on your requirements, definitely a high end Macbook Pro 15" - you should go to the Apple store to check out high res, and anti-glare options. You should be able to get academic discounts, they're pretty loose/easy on checking academic IDs, etc.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I like the 15" because you get a lot more screen in just 2".

If you have other devices like a tablet and smartphone, having a larger screen to work on can be really nice. The 13" is a little more portable, but I personally find that the 15" is very easy to take to school. 6lbs (with charger) just isn't that much more than 5lbs (with charger).

Btw, I recommend buying from Amazon; they usually beat even the student pricing.

7. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I would go 15 simply for the Hi-res ant-glare option.