MBP 13" vs. Air 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theturtle, Apr 21, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I know i know, not another one of these.

Im in a bit of a pickle right now, i had a late 09 macbook pro but than sold it 2 days ago and bought a 13" macbook air (2gb ram with 128gb). I LOVE the portability. The only things i do on the comp is, write papers, youtube, netflix, and browsing. One of my main gripes about the mbp was the weight the laptop. While it was extremely sexy, it was just really heavy to carry around campus everyday and it got extremely hot which made it crummy to use in bed.

but to my surprise, i was on the apple website and i couldn't help but wander into the mbp section. it seems that they made quite a bit of improvements on the laptop (the thing that caught my eye the most was the new processors).

I don't photoshop, do imovie, etc etc. Will the upgraded processors really benefit me? Would it be smart to go back to the heavy, thick, macbook pros just cause they have newer processors?

if the difference was negligible than i was just going to stick with the air. it offers quite a bit more comfortability. BUT if the difference was HUGE, than, yeah. i guess i better start looking for a buyer lol.

2. jpjandrade macrumors member

No, it wouldn't be smart. For the things you listed (web, papers, watching videos), the MBA is in fact faster than the stock MBP because of the SSD, which is much faster than the HDD in the MBPs. The only situation where the MBP is faster is in sheer processor power, in which it is much faster (video encoding, picture processing, running simulations, etc). If you do any processor intensive use, the MBP is a better choice. But you didn't list any processor intensive stuff. And in every one of those you listed, the faster hard disk will make the computer feel much snappier.

Besides, the 13'' in the air has a higher resolution screen (but worse viewing angle and colors), which is, imo, a plus.

tl; dr: stick with the Air. Seriously.

3. mikeytwice macrumors member

Only thing is... can you wait till June for the new MBA (which, of course, is no guarantee)?

4. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah :/ that was my only worry when I bought the air recently. I sold my pro for 750 with alot of accessories. It didn't have warranty so unfortunately I wasn't able to get alot. I had to spend 350 more out of my pocket to buy the air. I also didn't want to risk waiting until the refreshes to sell my pro. Who knows how much I would have gotten than. I thought about selling the one I hVe right now and than upgrading but it's not a good habit to spend a few hundred every year to get the most updated tech (even though I want to lol). I say it now but I'm hoping I follow through with it.

5. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wonderful reply. ThAnk you! :)