MBP 13" vs. linked laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jinyoungkim7, Apr 14, 2010.

1. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

Hey guys!

This is my first time here and I was wondering if you guys can help me with a decision. I know the macbook pro came out and it seems like everyone is talking about how the new 13 inch upgrade is very lackluster and not worth the price.
    I saved up enough money to spend around $1200 and I was planning on getting the new 13" after the new upgrade but I'm having second thoughts now.

Basically, I will be using the computer for school and World of Warcraft. Not much heavy video editing work since I'm merely a college student in Gov/Politics. The main reason I want to buy a MBP is because, from what I hear, they last longer and basically, they look cool & sleek.

One PC I was looking at is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157113

Thanks for helping!

2. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

The 13 inch got the best update I could think of! A 65 Wh 10 hour battery! Go and buy your PC!

3. jinyoungkim7 thread starter macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

4. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

It is thoughtful. Don't go for the 13 inch if it not the one you want but the only one you can afford.
    You don't want the 13 inch MBP for itself you just want to have something expensive that makes you special.

Only buy things you really want. The 13 inch just has 2 USB, only a SD Card slot, no HD or a great graphics card nor a iX Processor. You want the biggest and the best? Then do not go for the 13 inch model.

5. Raje macrumors member

The 13" would be fine for your needs and most everyone else. If you were planning on getting it before the update makes it even sweeter. It saves you from having to buy 4gb of ram. The update provided a faster processor (not much slower than the i3s just older tech). It also provided a graphics card update. And it provided most importantly a battery life increase. If you want the 13" because of portability and battery life it is still a good buy, IMO. If you don't mind using windows 7, care less about build quality and can deal with a 2 hour battery life then buy a windows lappy. If windows lappy buy sony or lenovo definitely not HP=Horrible Products

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Look at getting a refurb 13"

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    250GB Hard Drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

is $1189 right now.

7. Raje macrumors member

or for $10 more you can get better graphics and a 10 hour battery life something you will really notice instead of the .13ghz difference in processor speed

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Unfortunately most people don't buy the 13 because of its portability. They want some fancy laptop to show around and twitter with. BUT it has to be the biggest and the best.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Get the PC.

If you expected the 13" MBP to get an i3/i5 chip you were just fooling yourself. It wasnt going to happen. I think I said that 20X back in January.

For what you are doing, either machine is overkill.

10. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Like others have said either laptop would satisfy your computing needs. The HP you listed can be had for $800 now direct from HP with a current coupon:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/329...force-gt-320m-wifi-n-webcam-6-cell-win-7-prem

Anyways, just asking yourself i you want to use OSX and have a lighter laptop to tote around campus but spend $400+ more, or want a more powerful laptop (Quad-core! although it would be kinda overkill for your usage) but weighs more and gets less battery life but saving yourself $400+.