MBP 13 vs MBA 13 for writing, photo/ed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmjava, May 4, 2012.

1. jmjava macrumors newbie

What is the difference in power between these two machines (i5 versions). Would I be giving up alot by going with the portability of a MBA?

I will use it for some writing and light photo editing and web page editing.

What do you think? MBP 13 or MBA 13? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. jmjava thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the charts. Its nice to be able to see the specs side by side but I would also like to know how people that have owned both would compare them especially the 1.7 vs 2.4 ghz i5. These ate the two in my price range and they are portable. How much power do I give up with the MBA?

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

MBA has a higher res screen and SSD, both make a huge difference imho

I've never felt my MBA lacking for any task and it doesn't sound like your usage is particularly demanding.

5. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I'm not positive on this, but I believe the MBA doesn't have an optical drive. This may be a deal breaker for the MBA if you make use of DVDs and such.

Otherwise, for what you are planning for usage, either would work very well. I have the MBP 13 and am happy with it. However, for professional photo work, I need a much larger screen and a powerful desktop-type operation. Casual photo work would be fine on either, IMO.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. macrominnie macrumors member

The inexpensive Samsung USB 2.0 External Optical Drive works well with the MBA's IME.

For the needs you describe, there will probably be no major performance difference if it's MBP with HDD vs. MBA (SSD). Current MBA screens are preferred (to MBP 13") by many for both better resolution and less glossy reflection.

If you have a lot to store & transfer, the MBP HDD & FW port are an advantage until Thunderbolt peripherals are cheap, which does not seem close for many months.

Of course, if you can wait a few weeks to a few months, the 2012 MBP may have a nice combination of power & portability. YMMV.

8. Liquinn Suspended