MBP 13 vs MBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmajid13, Jan 6, 2011.

1. kmajid13 macrumors newbie

I just recently lost my 24" iMac due to an office fire and am contemplating replacing it with an MBP. I am part of a graphics company and use Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver. I dont do too much work on them and when i do it's not work that's too involved really. I will also be hooking up the MBP to 2 24" monitors at the office since i'm used to using 2 screens. I'm looking at the base models of both the 13" and 15" and the biggest difference between the two seems to be the processor.

I wanted to get your guys' opinion on which one i should get based on the kind of need i have. For some reason someone at apple told me that i would need a more powerful processor to be able to run 2 monitors which didn't make much sense to me, is that accurate?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

K

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wouldn't recommend using two external displays, as the second will require a usb adapter, and is quite laggy. I'd say the 15 is probably a better choice in your situation if you do go with the notebook. If you need to use two similar size screens, I'd get another iMac.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Since you work in graphics company, definitely get the 15". Faster computer = less waiting = more productivity = more money ;) As for dual external displays, it should be fine but I would suggest Matrox DualHead2Go DP instead. USB 2 provides 480Mb/s bandwidth while Mini DisplayPort provides up to 17.28Gb/s so using two monitors through mDP shouldn't be an issue. It costs a bit more but you don't want sluggishness when working

4. aCondor macrumors 6502

Get the 15" with an i5 (or i7). The C2D on the 13" has already had its day in the sun.