MBP 13" vs MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applenuub, Feb 26, 2011.

1. applenuub macrumors newbie

So I am on the verge of purchasing my first macbook pro. Like many beginners, I have been surfing this forum to educate myself. I am drawn between a 13" and a 15". I was wondering what is the major difference apart from the processor, screen size and graphics.

I have customised the 13" to 750GB ATA, 8GB ram.

The 15" is the 2.2 with 750 ATA, 8GB ram.

It costs a fair bit more so I was wondering if the 13" could be a better option.

How much better is the 2.0 quad core compared to the 2.7 dual core.

Thanks!

2. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

LMFAO!

you hit the nail right on the head

3. applenuub thread starter macrumors newbie

i guess thats it. but is there any specifics? such as specific performance issues regarding the processor? what is the essential different with dual and quad...that may seem very easy to answer. sorry!

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

You will see a huge difference by going quad core when it comes to pro applications which are processor heavy (video editing, photo editing).

If you don't need all that crazy speed, a dual core is fine.
    13" and 15" displays are all dependent on preference.

What do you intend on using it for so I can help you a little better?

5. applenuub thread starter macrumors newbie

surfing the web, downloading music, watching a movie or two, word processing and other basics like that.

But now I am considering between the 15". Im guessing by your response you will tell me to get the low end 15"? The extra graphics is only a good upgrade if I game yes? Also, I wouldn't need the extra processor as you have implied the 13"could be good enough.

Thanks!

6. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

The 13" easily has enough power to handle what you want. Hell the MacBook Air could easily do all that too lol. It boils down to what you want - the 13" screen leaves something to be desired (resolution wise), the 15" isn't as portable as it's little brother though. Might want to hit up a store and see them both side by side to check out which resolution and size you would prefer.

7. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Just go for the 13" and save some money. Your needs would be met by the 13" MBP.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

Mainly in less battery time, in the 13". :D

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

13" can do that...but 15" definitely has better screen estate and speakers :]

10. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

If you trade stocks or options you will appreciate the 15" high resolution screen.

11. applenuub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies! seems like MBP 13" is the way to go.

I went to the store and I have decided on the 15". But since you guys all said the 13" is good enough, Im guessing the low end 15" is good enough?

12. ramo macrumors member

Theres alot of threads like this, I even made one....

I bought a 13" i7 on thursday and used it for the night, and decided to return it friday. The reason? I used a 15" MBP for the last 5 years..

One of my favorite things to do is to watch videos and listen to music, and the 13" speakers were really poor compared to my old 15", that and the screen size left alot to be desired...

Anyway, I custom ordered a low end 15" with SSD and Hi Res. I know this machine wont disappoint...

13. applenuub thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good. I was thinking the low end 15". 750 or 500GB ATA. Would the extra speed be worth over the extra data space? Is 5400rpm louder or hotter? And I'll go the hi-res as well :p

14. ramo macrumors member

I would just go with the stock HDD and Hi Res. HDD are cheap and easy to upgrade....

15. Yizhimao macrumors member

I'm in your position.. Frankly speaking,I'm glad with this update of the MBP... I was only disappointed with the graphics card of the 13".. I've read articles on how crappy it is.. So i've narrowed down my options to these two: 13" 2.3Ghz MBP with 256 SSD or baseline 15".. Which is a better choice? They cost about the same.. I'm a student and looking for portability but I wouldn't wanna have to change my laptop cause of crappy graphics.. help me pls!!:(

16. ramo macrumors member

The 13" with an SSD is gonna feel alot faster than the baseline 15". If you take your computer to class everyday, i would probably get the 13"

17. applenuub thread starter macrumors newbie

would the 7200rpm make much of a difference compared to the 5400rpm?

18. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Most definitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. eaf7s macrumors regular

I would always suggest, for that, 13" for sheer portability and set up a larger external monitor at home.